Kirsty Grandparents 3130

fotographer.nz

So to get started on my levels work would you have any suggestions for the background?  For some reason the baby screamed as soon as she was taken into the studio but I didn't want them to miss out on a grandparent shot so I took a shot in the lounge but as you can see the background leaves a lot to be desired.   Would you pick an in between hue of the two wall colours and do a fill layer with a bit of texture or could you suggest any other options?

Kirsty SOOR IMG_3130.jpg

Awesome thanks, hmm I was just thinking that the best option would be to make it look like a solid wall behind them, I guess I could get creative and add a texture to look like wallpaper but just a solid realistic wall behind them would be a good start.

That's a handy little trick isn't it, nice, thanks :)  I have only done that first step after following that article, I didn't see your PSD there so I'll have a look now and then finish it off.  I ended up masking the white wall area and then inverted it.  To me it looks like there's still a little grey around those flyaways although I refined the mask - what do you think?

Kirsty BG Step 1 IMG_3130.jpg

Edited by fotographer.nz

Ok your process was a bit different.  Did you actually clone anything in that first clone layer?  It only seems to disappear with your colour fill.

When I was experimenting with the colour fill I was using a gradient, do you think that might make the wall a little more realistic or not worth it?

1 hour ago, fotographer.nz said:

Ok your process was a bit different.  Did you actually clone anything in that first clone layer?  It only seems to disappear with your colour fill.

What?  Can't you see what it does when you turn it off and on?

1 hour ago, fotographer.nz said:

When I was experimenting with the colour fill I was using a gradient, do you think that might make the wall a little more realistic or not worth it?

A gradient is a good idea, but darned hard to match up.

I like your colour better but I just couldn't get there, been looking at it too long now.   Anyways it's an improvement to the original messy background, I added some noise on my fill layer but then saw the problem of the initial patch up.  I added some noise to the patch too but I would have the same problem between those layers if I wanted to add a wallpaper-like pattern so I called it a day.  Anyway to avoid that?  To have the whole background editable as one layer?  Could I merge the patch and the fill?

Kirsty layers q6  IMG_3130.jpg