Multiple Door Collage

I am helping a friend create an item for her daughters school auction.  Here is what she would like it to look like - https://www.pinterest.com/pin/86764730294378418/ - when I click on the link to take me to the website, it says it can't find the server -( I hope this doesn't break the rules because it looks like the website does not be exist anymore.)  So she is having each student in the class send me a picture of their front door and I will then place it into the template I created.  I followed this tutorial https://www.damiensymonds.net/2011/12/simple-storyboard-tutorial-part-2.html and I attached a rough draft of my first template.  I am going to be printing a 16x20 on Wood from WHCC.  

I had two questions/thoughts that I think I know the answers to but don't feel confident......

Do I need to worry about sharpening since they are all sending me jpegs- my thought is no

Not sure how to get all of the doors all looking about the same size since some are single and some are double doors - I think this is out of my control since I am not the one taking the pictures.  I have given instructions for them to shoot wide.  

I just wanted to know if there was anything I need to consider when doing something like this that maybe I hadn't thought of.    Thank you in advance and thank you for your awesome storyboard tutorial that I linked above!!!!!  

Doors Class 1.jpg

Screen Shot 2017-10-10 at 1.57.48 PM.png

1 hour ago, Sara_B said:

Do I need to worry about sharpening since they are all sending me jpegs- my thought is no

Oh yeah, don't worry, you can still sharpen like any other collage.  You might need to mask it partially off any images that were terribly over-sharpened in camera, though.

1 hour ago, Sara_B said:

Not sure how to get all of the doors all looking about the same size since some are single and some are double doors - I think this is out of my control since I am not the one taking the pictures.  I have given instructions for them to shoot wide. 

Alas, I'm not sure either :(

1 hour ago, Sara_B said:

I just wanted to know if there was anything I need to consider when doing something like this that maybe I hadn't thought of.

The angles of the doors.  The first thing I noticed about the one you showed me on Pinterest is that the designer didn't correct the perspective, and it hurts my eyes.  I think it will be well worth the time to do this for each one: https://www.damiensymonds.net/2014/03/distortion-or-perspective-correction.html

1 hour ago, Sara_B said:

Doors Class 1.jpg

I don't think your spacing of the red blocks is very even.  Make sure you use grids so you can get them exactly even.

• Thanks 1

On 10/11/2017 at 4:10 PM, Damien Symonds said:

No, seriously, don't leave the spacing to your feeble human eyes.  Use grids: https://www.damiensymonds.net/2011/05/grids-in-photoshop.html

So I followed your instructions on this and it doesn't seem to be "snapping"- what I am doing wrong? Here is my process -  I am creating each shape - I want them all to be the same size besides the one bigger one.  I can't figure out how to copy the one size so they are exactly the same (is there a way?). Attachment 1 is just to show you what it is looking like.  So right now, I am using the guides to help me create the size of each shape by using the free transform tool. But some shapes are a little over a guideline - so now i am really trying to watch for the "smart guide" color to pop up to make sure they line up.  The snap doesn't even seem to work when i use the move tool on the entire group of doors - see the 2nd attachment - I am assuming it shouldn't let me place the shapes besides on the guide lines.  I have attached how I have it in my preferences and the 4th attachment is the snapping settings.  Maybe I am completely misunderstanding what should be "snapping".  I hope I have explained it so you can understand what the heck I am trying to say =)  

Screen Shot 2017-10-16 at 10.52.51 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-10-16 at 10.57.37 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-10-16 at 11.00.39 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-10-16 at 11.04.55 AM.png

Your preferences are set up correctly.  I don't understand why the the snapping wouldn't be working, sorry.

5 hours ago, Sara_B said:

I can't figure out how to copy the one size so they are exactly the same (is there a way?).

Yes, with the Path Selection Tool (A).  It's about 4/5ths of the way down the toolbar, two places below the Text Tool.

Choose it, click on a shape, then Alt-drag to create a copy of the shape.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Damien Symonds said:

Your preferences are set up correctly.  I don't understand why the the snapping wouldn't be working, sorry.

Ok, thanks.  At least I know I had it all set up correctly.  I will keep trying to figure it out.  I am gonna restart my computer and see if that does the trick =)  

1 hour ago, Damien Symonds said:

Yes, with the Path Selection Tool (A).  It's about 4/5ths of the way down the toolbar, two places below the Text Tool.

Choose it, click on a shape, then Alt-drag to create a copy of the shape.

THANK YOU!!!!!  I think this will help so much since my shapes will all be the same size.  

2 minutes ago, Damien Symonds said:

And when you're Alt-dragging the new shape, you really should see it snap to the grids.

Yes - it does!  And since i will copy all of the shapes that way, that will be a huge help!!!!  

So here is what I ended up with - thank you so much for linking the perspective tutorial - I had so many wonky doors submitted!!!!!  I still need more practice with the perspective and distort tools.  See any glaring issues?

Doors Class 5B final draft.jpg

• Like 2