How to make a lantern glow/sparkle?

Lovely photo.

Generally this is my go-to method.  A broad yellow glow, and a small white glow at the centre:

Lantern2.thumb.jpg.746194860ad7abee7d2504d8ec665205.jpg

Of course, the yellow glow doesn't need to be so strongly yellow, nor so broad.

What do you think of it?

I suppose what I should have asked at the beginning was, can you provide me with any links to lantern photos that you admire?

• Like 1

Thank you, this is great! I just wanted something simple to do and this is perfect and pretty.

Could you please explain to me how you did it?

Thanks!

Well, there are several ways it could be done, but we might as well go for the easiest.

lantern2how.thumb.jpg.c9322fb303e5de3f89b21fac9659d1c3.jpg

A "Solid Color" adjustment layer of yellow colour, then another one above it of white.  Both on "Screen" blend mode, and both start completely hidden with black masks.

Then with a low-opacity brush (I used 20% and it seemed to work well) gradually dab on the yellow layer first to create that glow.  I kept the brush in the same place, and just varied the size of it - started big then got smaller, so it got more intensely yellow towards the centre, if you know what I mean.

Then the same, but smaller of course, on the white layer.

It'll probably take you a few tries to get it just how you like it.  Don't be ashamed of that, I had to do it too.  Several times I returned the mask to black and started again.

Thank you, I will have a play with it shortly. I wanted to see how hard/time consuming it was to do before I photograph many clients with the lantern lol. 

• Like 1