creating a template

I am trying to create my own template with photo masks.  Specifically a Facebook cover size collage using puzzle pieces.  PS has puzzle piece shapes, but of course none of them are straight edges, so it wouldn't really make a puzzle like I envisioned.  Basically, I want the photo I attached, but with the ability to put a different picture in each piece.  Please tell me how I can do this, I am definitely in way over my head.  I am using PS CC.  So far, the best I can come up with is embedding each picture and using layer masks to brush off the photo to each line, which is very tedious.

20-piece-jigsaw-puzzle-template_340997.jpg

Okay, I have no idea how to use the pen tool, obviously, due to the crappy job I just did trying to follow directions on that thread.  So I searched here for a tut on pen tool and this is what came up:  http://www.damiensymonds.net/tut_pen.html so would quick mask be better?  If so, I don't know how to make it into a new layer unless I am doing an adjustment.  Way in over my head (but it's for a good cause so I am not willing to give up... yet).  Or if the pen tool is definitely the way to go, is there another tutorial on it?

The trouble is, you need the precise selection around a graphic shape.  Damien's comment about masking being better is for photographic editing purposes -- you see people trying to use the pen tool to select a person's face, for instance, for selective editing, and that's where it's definitely better to mask.

But what you're trying is graphic design rather than photographic retouching.  The quick mask is wonderful for soft feathered (gradually blending into the surroundings) selections, which is exactly the opposite of what you want here.  And masking, quick or not, is going to be very slow going as you try to make precise lines around each puzzle piece.

Wait for D to chime in on whether the pen tool is the best option here.  But if you want to learn how to use the pen tool, this is a great option that D has recommended in the past: http://bezier.method.ac/