My document window in Photoshop looks normal when I open it but when I open a jpeg image it seems to float outside the document window and my tools don't work or work strangely e.g the crop tool will only turn the image, not crop it. the move tool moves the image and leaves a blank space where it was in the "floating" window which is about a quarter the size of the regular document window. I've tried reset essentials but this doesn't help. Can you help, please?

I have a PC laptop running Windows 10 and Photoshop CC. It is under 2 years old, and has 8GB of RAM. Its hard drive has 320GB free out of 470GB. The last time I shut down was earlier today. I have never run a cleanup program.

8GB of RAM is the bare minimum that Adobe recommend for running Photoshop.  So be careful not to have too many other programs open at the same time, while you have PS open.

Please run Glary as soon as you can.

Your free space is good.

Now, is this a problem which has only begun today?  Was Photoshop acting perfectly normally yesterday?

I have just run Glary.

The problem began Sunday after my son (a computer programmer) resized the fonts of Photoshop, at my request, because they had suddenly become very small -reason unknown. Before that, Photoshop was acting perfectly normally.

4 minutes ago, Sandy D said:

I have just run Glary.

Great!  How much space did it clear up?

4 minutes ago, Sandy D said:

The problem began Sunday after my son (a computer programmer) resized the fonts of Photoshop, at my request, because they had suddenly become very small -reason unknown. Before that, Photoshop was acting perfectly normally.

Ok, do you know how he resized the fonts?

It freed up 3 GB after it was installed.

My son said he went into properties of the shortcut that starts Photoshop and changed the compatibility to override the DPI settings so they use the system's (Windows 10) DPI.