HDMI and VGA dual monitor setup

Hi Brian,

I want to hook up two monitors to my computer. One has a HDMI cable, the other a VGA. The HDMI is connected and works fine but the computer doesn't detect the VGA one. Is it possible to connect both? What do I need to do?

Windows 10
HDMI monitor: Asus VG278Q

VGA: Samsung SyncMaster P2070

Thank you.

No. It's one or the other. You'll want to replace the video card with two HDMI ports if you want dual displays. 

In addition, it's better to use HDMI ports for today's flat-screen displays. You'll get better colors and contrast and the image will be sharper. The standard 15-Pin VGA connector / port has been around since 1989 and is NOT meant for today's fancy flat-screens. In reality, a VGA port was only meant to go up to a 20" CRT (Tube) display. 

If any member comes across this comment and is using a VGA cable instead of a HDMI, DVI or DisplayPort type of cable, and has that option to upgrade...PLEASE do yourself a major favor and stop using the VGA port. I get my cables from Monoprice.com and a high quality HDMI cable shouldn't be more than $10. 

• Thanks 1

I'd get a different monitor. Yes, there are adapters and such, but in reality, you are wasting your time. It's one thing throwing up a power-point presentation on the fly, something completely different if you are editing photos / concerned about color quality and consistency.

It will be faster and cheaper and better in the long run if you get a new display. As I've stated above, when it comes to flat screens, you really want to avoid using the 15-pin analog VGA port.

• Thanks 1