Creating a TXT file

Just drag and drop the folder onto an empty Firefox tab.  That will give you a text list, including a file size column, date created, and stuff.  Then copy and paste that list into an empty Excel or Google Sheets document, and the filenames should fall into a neat column (beside the other columns with file sizes and stuff).

I'm not sure if it works with other browsers.  I tried it with Edge and it didn't work (not surprisingly).

So, I am trying to create an index.txt file so that I can float a folder of images into InDesign for a yearbook student/staff layout page.  I am also the school photographer, but I have never had to create the above file.  I am new at building the yearbook.

6 minutes ago, kellycaps said:

Kind of.  I copied the list into excel, but it renamed all the images with (File:) in front of each of the file names.

Huh.  Sorry, I don't know why it would do that, it didn't do it for me.  Mind you, I used Google Sheets instead of Excel, maybe there's a difference.

3 minutes ago, kellycaps said:

So, I am trying to create an index.txt file so that I can float a folder of images into InDesign for a yearbook student/staff layout page.  I am also the school photographer, but I have never had to create the above file.  I am new at building the yearbook.

I'm not new to InDesign, nor entirely to yearbooks, but I've never done this before either.  Can you link me to the instructions you're following?

3 minutes ago, Damien Symonds said:

Huh.  Sorry, I don't know why it would do that, it didn't do it for me.  Mind you, I used Google Sheets instead of Excel, maybe there's a difference.

No.  I have just been looking all over the web to find an answer to creating the Index.txt file

I am creating the yearbook from scratch following the previous persons layout. I found a video of how to populate the student images into Indesign using the Index