The Bridge Class is here!  At only $10, the most amazing value class ever.  Whether you're new to Bridge, or an old hand, you'll love this class.

diamante67

removing watermark... for a good cause

Long time no see... I have a rather unusual question to ask. I have lost all my pictures (as well as my house etc) in the fires in North California. Just before the fires, I had taken pictures of my neighbor's extended family (parents were visiting from India, brother and family was visiting from Australia so you can imagine it was a rare and special occasion). I had just delivered the prints and files to her when the fires happened. Moral of the story, all the pictures are gone. I am only left with the unedited, low res files that I had uploaded to the gallery for her to pick the images. I told her that all the images are gone and she is at peace with that but, now that my life is slightly less chaotic, I was wondering if I could remove the watermark on some of them, so that at least she can have some memories of her family's visit. Would there be a "smart" way to remove the watermark? See attached sample.

Moral of the story - now that my backup hard drives went in flames, backup on the cloud sounds pretty darn appealing :( 

34753317353_f5fb6a8b00_o.jpg

I'm so sorry to hear about this :(

Do you remember how you added the watermark?  I mean, did you type it manually in Photoshop, or was it done by some other program?

I am... I thought I had posted my reply and assumed you were too busy to respond. It turns out the draft I wrote did not get posted :( Here you go...

If I remember correctly it was done through the watermark feature in Lightroom (LR 5?). You will be pleased to hear that, now that I got my new computer, I finally had the guts to only reinstall PS ;) Nothing like a fire to get rid of bad habits? :)

I am pleased to hear that, yes.

Do you still have LR installed?  I'm interested to know if we can figure out what that font is.  If we can type over the white text in black, exactly aligned, it will speed up the fix significantly.

I can reinstall it. It will have to be a few days as things are quite busy. I will update you when I can... thanks again for checking on me.

Actually I went ahead and downloaded it and it looks very very close but the spacing seems off a bit, and not in a predictable way. Not sure whether LR maybe was spacing the letters a tiny bit differently to cover all the surface?

screenshot.PNG

Oh DARN.

Anyway, I'll show you want I'd envisaged.  Once you have that black text layer, change its blend mode to "Overlay" then lower the opacity (I think somewhere between 60 and 70% might work).

Oh, that's really interesting - I can see how it would work if I could get 100% overlap. Well, I will try to play a bit more with it. I wonder if trying to superimpose the watermark in black in LR might take care of the alignment issue. Long shot, I know. Otherwise I could try and use it selectively (letter by letter?) on the areas that are tougher to clone, such as the dress pattern. Might be more work than I was hoping to do - we'll see. Thank a lot for the idea! If I make it to get a decent result I will post it.

No, definitely don't try it letter by letter.  That wouldn't be efficient.  If you can't get the text to line up, go straight to removing them with Content Aware Fill.