Spyder matches prints, photoshop does not

Prior to the new way of doing things,, there was no ambiguity about using Adobe RGB in my work flow.  Then again, I went to school in early 2000's and i'm sure much has changed.. so i need to change with the times.

38 minutes ago, Damien Symonds said:

I'm trying to follow this, and I'm confused.  Have you, or have you not, reconnected your old screen to your new computer right now?

Yes i have connected the 2nd monitor, i'm trying to see differences on both right now.   which is why i gave you the settings above.. you asked if there was any change---computer is not detecting monitor through display settings on windows.  It shows monitor one and 2 and i was able to assign a color profile to monitor 2, BUT I am unable to re-calibrate the old monitor for some reason.  Windows doesn't completely recognize it.

1 hour ago, Damien Symonds said:

Good.

So ... back to my question.  When you calibrate the new computer with the old screen, how's the Photoshop-to-print match?

The settings above telling you old VS new, were giving you all the factors in which we have here. 2 computesr, 2 monitors, 2 print companies. and 2 color profiles.  It seems like all my color issues have all started due to me switching from RGB to sRGB, so the face that you say there is no ambiguity about it.. I beg to differ, the problem all started with the removal of the color profiles in shopify, which is when i consulted a friend who also says sRGB needs to be the files, and when i go back and compare in the current situaion, my RGB files/prints match.  my others do not.

sRGB, vs RGB, i'm hearing this and seeing this through everything i see online and have seen.. HOWEVER- upon looking at the files in RGB in photoshop as the color setting, it looks like the print.. so do help me, i'm trying to see the new way of why i absolutely need to have sRGB in my life over RGB because it has seemed to cause nothing but issues since the start.  no consistency so to speak

4 minutes ago, Damien Symonds said:

And is it the ONLY monitor connected to your computer?  You've disconnected the other one?

No.  ALL photos are RGB.

https://www.damiensymonds.net/2010/11/colour-modes-vs-colour-spaces.html

I'm fully aware all photos are RGB, i went to photography school, one of the best in the country, it was just a long time ago, i'm not a novice photographer, i have exhausted all options here and i understand what you're saying but I was told and continued to follow RGB for everything up until october-ish which is when i started having color issues

https://fstoppers.com/pictures/adobergb-vs-srgb-3167 i found this helpful and basically where i think i fit.. photography isn't a box, and i think its honestly quite helpful to know that i dont HAVE to use sRGB if i don't have to.. there are options.  One print company i use prints in sRGB and another does not.. does that make them wrong, no it makes them different.  which is where i am.  i'm trying to get help on a subject in a varying field.. Yes i went to school a long time ago but there are still people that have this workflow and i tried changing it, its not working and i'm trying to make things work, no matter the fix, so please understand that just because I haven't fallen in love with the smaller sRGB color space doesn't mean that its wrong and that all photos should fall under that umbrella.  

Additionally i have now only connected the one monitor, the old monitor, i thought it was in my best interest to have both connected, you weren't clear in your directions to have only the one plugged in.  i'm working on its recalibration now, mind you its lost some of its oomph, its an old monitor

2 minutes ago, Stef-JGP said:

I'm fully aware all photos are RGB

You have been using the terms "RGB" and "Adobe RGB" and even "Adobe sRGB" interchangeably, so I feel justified in my efforts to clarification.

Please understand that changing your images' colour space DOES NOT affect calibration.  There is a problem here, but that is not it.

4 minutes ago, Stef-JGP said:

Additionally i have now only connected the one monitor, the old monitor, i thought it was in my best interest to have both connected, you weren't clear in your directions to have only the one plugged in.  i'm working on its recalibration now, mind you its lost some of its oomph, its an old monitor

That's ok, we just need to know how it calibrates with this new system.  And yes, sorry I wasn't clear - for troubleshooting purposes, it must be the only monitor connected.

1 minute ago, Damien Symonds said:

Please understand that changing your images' colour space DOES NOT affect calibration.  There is a problem here, but that is not it.

In a properly-working system, Adobe RGB and sRGB images (and any other colour space, for that matter) will display correctly and print as displayed (apart from gamut issues of course).

I have to go and pick up the kids from school now, and then take them to sport.  I likely won't be back online for a few hours.  When I check back in, I look forward to hearing how your calibrated screen (Photoshop, nothing else) compares to the prints.

Please keep it really simple:

"My screen is _________________________ [colder/warmer] than my prints"

That's all I need to know.

4 minutes ago, Damien Symonds said:

You have been using the terms "RGB" and "Adobe RGB" and even "Adobe sRGB" interchangeably, so I feel justified in my efforts to clarification.

sorry i'm tired, its late, i'm 2 hours late from picking up my kid, i've been dealing with issues that have all started upon switching to srgb on my files.  

when i say RGB i mean Adobe RGB, i'm talking about the color profile assigned to the file itself

Fantastic. Can you post one or two of those photos here in the thread?

Also, can you test something for me? With one of the photos open in Photoshop, go to Edit>Assign profile, and assign the monitor profile to the image. Does it make it closer to the print, or further away? Or no change?

Also, please confirm that your PS Color Settings are on "North America General Purpose 2". Anything else is catastrophic.

15 minutes ago, Damien Symonds said:

Settings are on "North America General Purpose 2".

yes they are

In bridge now the image looks identical to the print but not in photoshop

Screenshot for sample (photoshop left and bridge right)

"copy" has assigned profile to the monitor Cooler more muted than before

the middle file is no change (upload here looks good, and identical to bridge in screencap - still looks awful in photoshop)

20170615__4598_2 copy.jpg

20170615_Am_4598_2.jpg

amy.jpg

7 hours ago, Damien Symonds said:

I just noticed that the PSD file in this screenshot is sRGB, but the photo you posted for me is Adobe RGB.

Can you show me the screenshot when you have the Adobe RGB photo open?

This is the exact same file, when i have it in bridge, its showing Adobe RGB,  then if i try to "assign profile" to it it showing that the profile in photoshop is Adobe RGB I don't see where you're seeing its sRGB - - unless i'm missing something here??

screenshot.jpg

4 hours ago, Stef-JGP said:

This is the exact same file, when i have it in bridge, its showing Adobe RGB,  then if i try to "assign profile" to it it showing that the profile in photoshop is Adobe RGB I don't see where you're seeing its sRGB - - unless i'm missing something here??

screenshot.jpg

You need to turn this on: https://www.damiensymonds.net/tscs/blackarrow.gif

Whoa.

Yes, that's correct.  That's how it should be.

Ok, there's clearly something wrong with your Photoshop.  It's not recognising profiles somehow.  I urge you to reset its preferences completely.  If that fails, you might need to reinstall it completely.

Google will tell you how to reset Photoshop's preferences.  It involves holding down the Ctrl Alt and Shift keys while launching it.

1 minute ago, Damien Symonds said:

Ok, there's clearly something wrong with your Photoshop.  It's not recognising profiles somehow.  I urge you to reset its preferences completely.  If that fails, you might need to reinstall it completely.

I did that yesterday as well.. I also did an update last night but something is clearly wrong.  I will re-install, If that fails - Do you think then I should contact Adobe?  Could this, in ANY way be a graphics card issue?  

3 minutes ago, Stef-JGP said:

I did that yesterday as well.. I also did an update last night but something is clearly wrong.  I will re-install, If that fails - Do you think then I should contact Adobe?

Yes.

3 minutes ago, Stef-JGP said:

Could this, in ANY way be a graphics card issue?  

I don't see how.  Bridge and ACR are ok, and they're both Adobe programs using the same graphics card.

14 minutes ago, Stef-JGP said:

Resetting all the preferences did it,  I hadn't done that step yesterday, i did something else.

In the preferences there's a "Reset" button, but it only does the warning dialogs.  Quite a few people mistake it for the real thing.

14 minutes ago, Stef-JGP said:

Now I can process the images appropriately, Thank you again for your help!!! wow!

Phew!  Glad we got there.

Now please read, read, and read again, until it STICKS: https://www.damiensymonds.net/2014/06/the-wide-gamut-myth.html