image embedded profile

Hi Damien, this is Marianne. My question is about images' embedded profile. I shoot in RAW and I notice when I open the document in camera raw processor (the very first screen that pops up after you go Open/File) On the very bottom of the image there is information about the file provided. Mine says Adobe RGB 1998, 300ppi. So from this information we see that the embedded image profile is Adobe RGB 1998. My question - how is this image embedded profile determined? I know that when we shoot in JPEG the embedded profile (tag) is determined in camera. But for RAW files it is not the case. RAW image does NOT have an embedded profile in the camera. It is ONLY upon opening in RAW processor that this embedded profile appears in the information about the file at the bottom of the file and if I click on it, it opens a workflow options dialog box, and one of the fields in this dialog box is color space dropdown menu. So do we simply select which embedded profile we prefer our image to open up as once we transfer it from RAW processor into Photoshop? Hope you can help me out with this, thank you very much.

7 minutes ago, Mare_333 said:

Hi Damien, this is Marianne. My question is about images' embedded profile. I shoot in RAW and I notice when I open the document in camera raw processor (the very first screen that pops up after you go Open/File) On the very bottom of the image there is information about the file provided. Mine says Adobe RGB 1998, 300ppi. So from this information we see that the embedded image profile is Adobe RGB 1998. My question - how is this image embedded profile determined?

Right there, in Camera Raw.  You click on that link at the bottom of ACR to change the colour space to sRGB the way it should be.

8 minutes ago, Mare_333 said:

RAW image does NOT have an embedded profile in the camera.

That's right.  It's genuinely raw data.  Your setting in ACR dictates the colour space.

8 minutes ago, Mare_333 said:

So do we simply select which embedded profile we prefer

No, preference doesn't come into it.  The colour space MUST be set to sRGB.

10 minutes ago, Damien Symonds said:

Right there, in Camera Raw.  You click on that link at the bottom of ACR to change the colour space to sRGB the way it should be.

That's right.  It's genuinely raw data.  Your setting in ACR dictates the colour space.

No, preference doesn't come into it.  The colour space MUST be set to sRGB.

Thank you very much for replying. One less thing for me to worry about:)

• Like 1