How can I add a sky without making the trees look fuzzy?

Cathy Stark

I have another image with a decent sky that I'd like to add to this one.  I am having trouble masking it in around the trees seamlessly.  I edit in elements but am considering trying to retrain my brain to edit in photoshop if there is any benefit to doing so.  Suggestions?

CRS_7738.jpg

1 hour ago, Cathy Stark said:

I have another image with a decent sky

May I see it?

Be very very careful.  The complete absence of any distinct shadows in this photo makes it VERY obvious that it was taken under a heavily overcast sky.  Any attempt to add a happy sunny sky will look instantly implausible.

1 hour ago, Cathy Stark said:

I edit in elements but am considering trying to retrain my brain to edit in photoshop if there is any benefit to doing so.

Of course there are some benefits, but none of them relate to this particular editing issue.  Don't upgrade because of this.

Yes, it was a very overcast day.  I need to get out and shoot some sky images  - I thought I could use this and stretch it to fill the sky in my other image.  I'm mainly trying to learn the technique.  

CRS_8441.jpg

Actually, I think it looks ok:

SkySwap.thumb.jpg.b43fcf4d6c778d065d1b49582126bf45.jpg

Download the PSD

It uses this method: https://www.damiensymonds.net/sky-replacement-method.html

Notes:

• You'll see I added an extra white "Solid Color" layer, because while the Levels layer does a good job at the tree line, it left some darker areas of sky at the top
  • Notice that I blurred the sky.  This is SO important.  One of the most common novice mistakes is putting an in-focus sky behind an out-of-focus horizon.
  • Also notice that I lowered the opacity of the sky layer.  It looked too implausible if left darker.

It looks amazing!  I'm going to download and see if I can walk through your steps.  I was actually trying to follow this method AFTER I posted my question for help.  Maybe I need to go back to the layers class......:(

Thanks!  You are the best!

• Like 1