Calibration and Monitor (laptop)

Hi Damien

After correspondence with you over the weekend I have read your info re calibration and monitors

I have found an affordable calibrator Datacolour Spyer5Express however I went and had a chat with the local Electronic store re monitors. He basically told me it wont matter what type or quality of monitor I get if my Media card size in laptop is small. He said anything 512(???) or more would be ideal. Does this sound right to you?

Im at work at the moment so will check the details when I get home. Cant remember model but it is about 3 years old....is that considered old these days?

I will provide more detail later tonight re laptop.

Thank you

Ok so i have a Toshiba Satellite..cant find any info on media card as such but i did find this detail....does it mean anything to you? Hope you can see this ok

image.thumb.png.996df6a92aca2d8b80d8ac1cfbb6b866.png

image.png

I have plugged it into a Smart Tv a few times and everything seemed fine. So what was this guy going on about?. He was saying that the resolution of the lap top may not translate very well to a monitor. I found a monitor on line that is IPS ..these specs ok and is wide screen ok or a bit of a waste of time

image.thumb.png.9b92ea2b5501d3b91e04ceda90677e71.png

image.png

image.png

Excellent..so i shouldnt have any issues if i buy a monitor such as this to connect to laptop and then use spyder5 express data colour calibrator on this monitor or similar.....if you feel that this is an appropriate way to go - dont expect your guarantee on items but if this is the correct path to take to get the best on a budget in regards to editing quality then this is what i will work on over the coming weeks. 

Hi Damian - have a question regarding resolution of the image i am about to organise in readiness to do my screen calibration, (by the way Frank at Frontier was very helpful on the phone)

I am posting the question here as it may assist someone else

Frank has stated he needs the file to be 300 pixle inch resolution (think i have this right) to get the best result. Can you advise how i tell easily what resolution my image is and can i or how do i increase it to 300 pixle inch resolution?

I have a couple of JPEG images that i want to use and i use Elements 12

Thank you for your assistance through all of this

Right!  Good.

So, in the Options Bar at the bottom of the screen, you type "4in" in the Width field, "6in" in the Height field, and "300" in the resolution field.

Then crop your photo.  When you commit the crop, it will shrink on screen.  Now it's at exactly 6x4 size (at the 300 ppi that Frank asked for) ready for you to save as a jpeg and send to him.