Pixelated areas

abfriesen

Maybe it won't be such a problem after looking at it at 100%. I'm adding this cutout to a layout (see attached screenshot taken at 100%). I changed the cutout photo to CMYK since it will be used in a printed program, and I didn't need the bottom of her so I selected that portion crudely. The original is also attached, as well as the cutout at 100%. What I thought was pixelation may not show up. I think it shows up best on the jersey front.

Screen Shot 2018-03-6 at 15-41-57.png

aaaaa26220490_1855000501208278_6419766058613987630_o.jpg

York-1-100percent.jpg

I'm so sorry, I can't see any pixelated areas as such.

But I do have a number of grave concerns about this project.

Firstly, if that is a true 100% crop, it means the photo is very small.  What is the size of the page you're designing?

Secondly, have you actually liaised with the printing company to find out exactly which CMYK colour space they require?  You must never automatically assume that they want Web Coated (SWOP), because if you get it wrong, the consequences can be dire.

Thirdly, how did you actually perform the cut-out?  What method did you use?

There is only one correct way to do the cutout, and it's vitally important.

First, you double-click the Background layer to turn it into "Layer 0".  Then you add a mask to that layer.

Below that layer, insert a Solid Color layer of a similar colour to what will be there in InDesign.  (It doesn't need to be the exact colour, as long as it's in the ballpark.)  Above it, you can do your Levels work as required to make the photo look its best.

Then mask very carefully around the subject:

cutout1.thumb.jpg.e99749cd5653af1819919d4611e523c9.jpg

Once all the masking is done, turn off the Color layer to leave the transparent background only:

cutout2.thumb.jpg.de7d0dc1c4da26719cdab0d9a21c18ba.jpg

Then save this as a PSD.  It MUST be a PSD.

Then close it.  Then place that PSD file in InDesign.

I can't stress this enough.  This entire task is done with one PSD file.  Never save as a jpeg, or a png, or anything else.  On single PSD file for both the edit and the InDesign placement.

Yes, sorry, I'm here. :) Was out for the afternoon and evening.

Sounds like I'm doing it right for the cutout. I use a colored background and select, turn it off, then save a PSD and use that in the INDD file.

Thank you for information about CMYK. I'll check it out. I've never thought into more than that for the color and haven't had the printer come back or had issues that I know of about print quality. I know this client will use Staples or a similar printer, not a professional printing company.

After your concerns about photo quality, I looked into getting a better quality photo (this one is 72ppi) and it looks like I can before tomorrow when things go to the client. Phew!

Thanks so much for your attention to this and help!

1 minute ago, abfriesen said:

After your concerns about photo quality, I looked into getting a better quality photo (this one is 72ppi) and it looks like I can before tomorrow when things go to the client. Phew!

The ppi is irrelevant.  Only the NUMBER of pixels matter.  You could have a file that's 15ppi, as long as it was 15 megapixels, it's absolutely fine.

https://www.damiensymonds.net/art_resolution.html

True. It's pulled off of the photographer's Facebook page, so it's decent, but not print quality for what I need.

Also, forgot to answer about final size: the program will be 8.5x11.