Calibration and Brightness

Hi Damien!

I edit using Lightroom on a new Mac desktop. I ordered test prints and the lab sent me both "not color" corrected and "color" corrected versions of my photos to compare. The "not color" corrected and the "color" corrected are nearly identical and the prints closely match my screen except for one thing...the prints look as though they are 1 -2 stops darker than what I see on my screen. I understand they won't be identical because the screen is illuminated and the prints are not. However....

Is the fact that the "not color" corrected and the "color"corrected the same mean that my issue might not be a color issue, but more of a monitor brightness issue? My brightness is currently set at 50%. Should I lower my brightness until it matches the prints and then re-edit? I'm feeling overwhelmed.

6 hours ago, brianna.vanvalen said:

I edit using Lightroom on a new Mac desktop. I ordered test prints and the lab sent me both "not color" corrected and "color" corrected versions of my photos to compare.

If there are any issues of difference between the two sets of prints, always ignore the "Colour corrected" ones.  Only trust the "Not colour corrected" ones.

the prints look as though they are 1 -2 stops darker than what I see on my screen. I understand they won't be identical because the screen is illuminated and the prints are not.

No, this is something of a myth.  Regardless of the fact that screens are illuminated and prints are not, it's perfectly possible to get a VERY close match, I promise.

Is the fact that the "not color" corrected and the "color"corrected the same mean that my issue might not be a color issue, but more of a monitor brightness issue? My brightness is currently set at 50%. Should I lower my brightness until it matches the prints and then re-edit? I'm feeling overwhelmed.

That's right.  50% is very high - most people have their screens under 20%.  Some people even have it at 0%!  So yes, you're absolutely right, you need to lower your screen's brightness until it matches your prints.

However, there is another aspect to this.  Please read: https://www.damiensymonds.net/2012/01/light-around-your-computer.html

Oh, and this one too: https://www.damiensymonds.net/cal_starthere.html

I'm feeling overwhelmed.

Don't worry, @brianna.vanvalen :) It really is easy.  When we boil it all down, the simple fact is that your screen's brightness needs to match your prints.

The HUGE thing you need to overcome is the feeling, at first, that your screen is way too dim.  Everyone feels this, don't worry.  But I promise, it will only take a few days before you're used to it, and in fact you'll wonder how you ever tolerated it so bright before!