12MP drone photo prints

Hi Damien,

I own a mavic pro drone which has a 12mp stills camera and can shoot raw files. I know it’s up to each individual persons desires and requirements about the quality of their prints. However I wanted to ask you what you suggest if I am going on a trip and the aim is to print out a series of photos at 80x160cm long. Would a panoramic and portrait mode be best? If so how would you suggest me taking the images and how many images? Thank you so much in advance. Any help is much appreciated! 

35 minutes ago, Anthony Glick said:

Would a panoramic and portrait mode be best?

Well, my first question would be - do those modes apply to raw files?

I'm afraid I don't know anything about drone cameras.  I'm just thinking of other cameras, which have various modes that only apply to jpeg files, you know?

18 minutes ago, Damien Symonds said:

Well, my first question would be - do those modes apply to raw files?

I'm afraid I don't know anything about drone cameras.  I'm just thinking of other cameras, which have various modes that only apply to jpeg files, you know?

Hey Mate, Thanks for that. Here is a pano I shot and sized to the dimensions of my desired 80x160cm print. What do you think about the chances of getting a decent print from this file are? Is it worth spending some money to see a test print? 

DJI_0003-Pano.jpg

Can you please answer this one?

On 6/14/2018 at 6:52 PM, Damien Symonds said:

Do you have one of your drone panoramas to check how many megapixels it is?  It won't be the full 12.

What are the pixel dimensions of a panoramic shot?

1 hour ago, Anthony Glick said:

Hey Mate, Thanks for that. Here is a pano I shot and sized to the dimensions of my desired 80x160cm print. What do you think about the chances of getting a decent print from this file are? Is it worth spending some money to see a test print? 

DJI_0003-Pano.jpg

May I see two 100% crops from the best-focused part of the shot?  One from the raw file, and one from the resized-for-print file.

Hey mate. Please excuse my radio silence. I went away when you sent this on a 3 week trip with no signal, I managed to sort the pano out. Thank you for helping me and thank you for following up! I really appreciate it. Cheers. Anthony Glick. 

• Like 1