PRINTING ON A MASSIVE SCALE (53 FEET)

5 minutes ago, Damien Symonds said:

Excellent.  Now change the Resample option to "Bicubic Smoother" for enlargements, then change the resolution to 50ppi.  Then press OK, at which point your file will enlarge significantly on screen.

Smoother? :o not sharper or the new 2.0 thing???    ... okaaaayyyy..... I trust you!

Screenshot 2018-06-27 16.22.20.png

Just now, Jamie Brown said:

Smoother? :o not sharper or the new 2.0 thing???    ... okaaaayyyy..... I trust you!

Screenshot 2018-06-27 16.22.20.png

Ok it actually looks pretty damn good. haha I knew it was right to trust you... question you I may do every step, but always follow orders and trust. :D

Here it is full screen

Screenshot 2018-06-27 16.25.13.png

But you would agree that a tasteful amount of sharpening may improve the over all quality of the image?

Ok last question then, would I apply this mild amount BEFORE the last set of instructions or AFTER?

Thanks so much for your help, I made more headway in the last day than I had previously in 3 weeks.

I just hope the color prints bold, because honestly looking at this now it looks a little flat and not as saturated as I'd like. If I want to remedy this I need to reopen the layered file, make those adjustments to hue/sat or curves to bring back some saturation and contrast.

1. Flatten

2. Convert to 8-bit

3. Crop to exact measurements (including bleed) at 50ppi using bi-cubic smoother

4. Convert to CYMK color profile

5. Sharpen slightly using unsharp mask

6. Save to jpg quality level 6 (I never saw this option when I saved it first time) 

GIb Olinter NEW FILE CYMK JPG SHARPENED.jpg

2 hours ago, Jamie Brown said:

I just hope the color prints bold, because honestly looking at this now it looks a little flat and not as saturated as I'd like.

Did that happen when you converted it to CMYK?

2 hours ago, Jamie Brown said:

6. Save to jpg quality level 6 (I never saw this option when I saved it first time)

Whaaat?  Gosh, are you sure?

When I am working with files in Photoshop and click save as this is what pops up... what am I doing wrong? Maybe it did and I just don't remember, I certainly didn't change any settings when saving or look at the dialogue box if it had popped up. Seems like that screen you are referring to would pop up though when changing formats, but if it's already been flattened or saved as a jpeg this is the only option I get. 

Screenshot 2018-06-28 10.34.33.png

15 hours ago, Damien Symonds said:

15 hours ago, Damien Symonds said:

Whaaat?  Gosh, are you sure?

JUST RECEIVED THIS EMAIL IN REGARDS TO THE PHOTO I SUBMITTED YESTERDAY:

"After several stiff cups of coffee this morning, I think I have a work flow plan for print production and preparation that will give us the best results possible.    The one caveat having just read your description below, I realize that the .PSD file for strikeoff is not enlarged or improved per your description below.   Reading between the lines, I suspect you used the .JPG format as your computer would not save in .PSD once the image was enlarged to the full size image.    Let me share the workflow I’m proposing and you’ll see that what I need from you is your final edited image but in .PSD or .Tiff.   If there’s a way you can maintain your edits, but send me the final PSD before enlargement, that would be best.    I’ll handle the enlargement on my end. 

Joe, 

I think I have a plan of action now.   

Step 1:   Use the photographers edited final image, scale it to the correct overall mural width without rescaling the image (627” wide).

Step 2:  Lay out each of the six panels on the artwork (104-1/2” wide x 189-3/4” high finished size)  117” x 202” printed size for bleed.

Step 3:  Separate each panel into its own artwork.

Step 4:  Rescale and enlarge each panels artwork into as high a resolution that Photoshop will let us save.   Shooting for 150-300 dpi.   

Step 5:   Submit six art files for printing.

Waiting to upscale the artwork until each panel has its own print file I think will allow us the ability to raise the pixels per inch (artificially as it may) and be able to save the files without our computers crashing. "

3 hours ago, Jamie Brown said:

When I am working with files in Photoshop and click save as this is what pops up... what am I doing wrong? Maybe it did and I just don't remember, I certainly didn't change any settings when saving or look at the dialogue box if it had popped up. Seems like that screen you are referring to would pop up though when changing formats, but if it's already been flattened or saved as a jpeg this is the only option I get. 

Screenshot 2018-06-28 10.34.33.png

Yes, that's right.  Then after you hit "Save", another little window pops up, where you choose the quality.

His workflow is fine, but this business about needing a PSD or TIFF is nonsense.  Tell him your Jpeg file is absolutely fine.

Now, please answer this question:

18 hours ago, Damien Symonds said:

1 hour ago, Damien Symonds said:

His workflow is fine, but this business about needing a PSD or TIFF is nonsense.  Tell him your Jpeg file is absolutely fine.

Now, please answer this question:

Sorry, thought I had!  I remember intensely starting at screen when I clicked convert profile, looking for any changes. I never saw anything shift. Odd. 

I don't know if I just had been staring at my screen for too long and became blind to the color, feeling a bit flat and dull, but after stepping away and coming back and looking at other images compared to the final version it just didn't seem to be as bold as I thought it should be. 

1 hour ago, Damien Symonds said:

Yes, that's right.  Then after you hit "Save", another little window pops up, where you choose the quality.

That never pops up. I click save and then it's done.

2 minutes ago, Jamie Brown said:

Sorry, thought I had!  I remember intensely starting at screen when I clicked convert profile, looking for any changes. I never saw anything shift. Odd.

Ok, great!  Then yes, you can do some more colour boosting on your RGB master file if it pleases you.

But of course, do exactly what you said  and watch the CMYK conversion very carefully for "dying" colours.

Good morning! Thanks for checking in, I am still waiting to hear if the strike off has arrived for previewing/reviewing... It's been good to have a brain break from this project the last couple days. I would imagine it should arrive today or tomorrow. Thursday is our Independence Day celebrations so this holiday weekend may delay things a bit and I know their hard deadline was July 11th to get this printed and installed on schedule (which I'm certain we will not make) so the installation date will be pushed back to October 2018 now.  It's going into newly constructed school being built with Aug 24 opening, so there are many side projects that will need to be tended to and this, not being ready, means they have to move on to other projects and then come back to it later once construction is complete and sadly it will now interfere with school hours or will need to work around kids in the fall. ? 

• Like 1

I STILL haven't seen it! It's been crickets from the school district and the printing company. I made it very clear I wanted to see the sample when it arrived and to notify me when it did... but here we are, nothing. Now I'm so nervous I almost don't want to know. My mind is of course, going directly to worse case scenarios. 

I want it to be a smashing success and look amazing, but honestly, I have no idea what the sample looked like. If they decided to use it, cancel it, go a different direction.

I promise, when I get answers or sneak peeks I will let you know. I am not trying to torment you! lol ♥

• Like 1