Window 10 pro tweaks

Cindy

Hi there Brian.   

Question on some Windows 10 tweaks since it comes all bogged down with stupid shit.    I used this method to remove a lot but can't get it to remove candy crush from the fly out menu even clicking uninstall doesn't do anything.  https://www.ghacks.net/2015/08/02/how-to-remove-core-apps-in-windows-10/

Also, did you find a way to enlarge the taskbar so that the icons are sized larger?   I had to download a third party software https://winaero.com/comment.php?comment.news.1836  to just change fonts for  my icons and what Metrics used to do in Windows 7.   Networking the 7 with the 10 went fine.   Just trying to figure out the taskbar as I am finding NO answers.   

I called Dell they are clueless and I called Windows and they are clueless but Windows scheduled a call from a higher tech at 6:00 today.   Makes no sense to me.   It's like the Vista nightmare all over again. 

Thank you once again, 

Candy Crush:

I found this: https://www.thewindowsclub.com/remove-candy-crush-saga-windows-10

Now, it is very important to right click on the Powershell tile and choose RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR before doing any Powershell commands. Yes, even if you are logged in as a Administrator, you need to elevate your Admin profile privileges. 

Taskbar:

Do you want the Taskbar bigger or the Icons on the Taskbar to be larger? That's two different things. Screen Resolution also plays a role in how things, including the Taskbar, appear. That's why on Surface Tablets with 4K screens that things look so tiny. So it might be a resolution issue, or you have to adjust your icon size and not try to tweak the Taskbar Settings.

Let's try changing the size of the icons, we can always set them back to where they were.

1. Right Click on a empty space on the desktop
  2. Choose Display Settings at the bottom of the menu
  3. Move the slider below where it says "Change the size of text, apps, and other items..." to something larger, like 150% or 175%.
  4. Click Apply.

You may have to log-out and back in for the changes to take affect, but probably not. If you problem still persists, you might have to physically make the Taskbar bigger. I found a decent instructions here.

Thanks Brian.... I was able to remove all the stupid junk via the methods you stated. .   LOL  

When increasing the size  to something larger it throws EVERYTHING larger including PS and other programs.   It's not a fix as.    It's the icons in the taskbar that I was trying to enlarge.  Super tiny things.   

I will have to live with this issue or install my copy of Windows 7 on this.   But eventually we are going to be forced into 10 come 2020.   

I spoke with level 1, 2 and 3 at Microsoft and there are no fixes for the icon sizes of the "taskbar" at the bottom nor font sizes.    Although they don't recommend a third party application.   LOL   It's the only way I could get my 10 to a size that is readable.    Truly sad that they are turning 10 into a nightmare of what Vista was.   

I did order the G-Technology G-DRIVE USB 3.0 2TB External Hard drive and it should be here today.    I didn't realize I had to reformat it so I will be challenged by that today.    

Thank you ALWAYS!!!!!! 

Do yourself a favor, hit the start button type "This PC" and it will appear at the top of the search Window. Right-Click on it and choose "Pin to Start" You will now have your "Computer" / "My Computer" back. 

You will need to delete the existing partition, create a new one, and reformat the G-Drive. It should take about 5 minutes. The process is the same as it was with Windows 7 and Windows XP. Microsoft keeps changing where things are located with each new version of Windows 10. You used to be able to right click on the start button and choose "Disk Management" but I'm not sure if they have taken it away. Anyway, that's where you need to be. You could try clicking the start button and type "Disk Management" or even "Format" and it should take you to the Disk Management program. Then you right click on the G-Drive and select "Delete Volume" and then then the whole drive will have a black stripe across it. Right Click again (on the black stripe / G-Drive Area) and select "New Simple Volume" and follow the prompts with the wizard. Give it a name like G-Drive 2TB and do a quick format. If prompted, since it's a 2TB drive, choose MBR for the partition type. GPT Partitions are for 3TB and larger Drives.

56 minutes ago, Cindy said:

Truly sad that they are turning 10 into a nightmare of what Vista was

Windows 10 is nothing like the nightmare of Vista or Windows 8. Trust Me. Have you tried right clicking on the taskbar, going into its settings and making sure that "Use Small Icons" isn't toggled on or checked?

Oh, Windows 7 is going to be taken behind the barn and shot dead on January 7, 2020. So yes, we will all be forced to Windows 10 on that date if you want updates/security fixes.

I got "my computer back" that was one of the first things I did.   LOL   Gosh we think the same.   
I am used to plug and play for externals.    Disk Management is still there...  if you right click. 
So this will be a little project this afternoon IF it ever arrives.  :-)  Thank you for those instructions!!!!!    I did a search for it and it made it look a lot more complicated than what it should be / should have been.   You just made it super simple.   THANK YOU!!!!  You truly are my little computer hero!!!  
Yes on the settings.. it isn't toggled on for small icons.   It does nothing to enlarge the icons in the taskbar.   No fix
This isn't the system that you and I discussed but I will have the premium system (the one we discussed) after the holidays.    Have to save a few dollars.  :-)

• Thanks 1

The only way I can think of to do what you want to do, is choose a lower screen resolution that has the same aspect ratio of your monitor. So instead of 1920 x 1080, go for a size or two smaller. You can always put it back. 

Okay Brian.... just sayin' here.    Why would we that do graphics and photography buy a monitor for editing with a high resolution and due to Windows have to downgrade our high end monitors.   I know what you are stating a possible resolution and I yes I will try it.   But the BIG picture just makes my head spin.     

I love our little techie talks.... Thank you!!!!