In memorium

Stacey Sedgman

Hi Damien,

I lost my dad three months ago and although the concept is becoming somewhat cliche now I would really like to add him in to a photo of my sister on her wedding day two weeks ago. I've cloned out my grandad who was standing beside her and would like to add dad in his place. My attempt so far is attached, I just need help making it more realistic. How do I add a shadow etc around his feet? 

dad3.jpg

This is just one person's opinion, but -- I think you're currently in the uncanny valley of it being too close to real.  I think these in memoriam shots tend to work better when it's very clear that the person has been added in as a memorial -- I'd want him to be more transparent than you've currently got him.  And reducing the opacity would, I think, obviate the need for realistic shadows by his feet.

I'm so sorry for your loss, and I think it's lovely that you want to create something like this to honor his memory.

• Like 1

Oh gee, Stacey, that's a gift, use it.  Your Grandad's feet are at a plausible angle that your Dad's are not.  I'd try to use GD's feet, and merge the two men mid-leg if at all possible.  It wouldn't be easy, but it would DEFINITELY be worth it.

Whoa.

For future reference: http://www.damiensymonds.net/2010/09/extract-then-copy-vs-copy-then-extract.html

For now, I suggest adding a Levels layer above the dad layer, and clipping it thereto (Ctrl Alt G).  Then change the Levels layer's blend mode to either Soft Light or Overlay, and see if you like the slight extra punch.