monitor homogeneity

Can we talk about monitor homogeneity?

How important is this?  It seems like in-depth reviews show that most of the less expensive (as in not an Eizo or NEC) suck in the homogeneity department.  Is it worth shelling out the extra for a higher-end monitor for that reason?  To me, it seems that if the bottom half of my screen is showing a different luminance or temp than the top (or right/left) that is a big issue... but these lower end monitors all seem to have this issue and yet seem to be recommended by many... so what am I missing here?

I was looking at the Dell Ultrasharps (UP2516D and UPL2716D) and the BenQ SW2700PT

I currently have dual 24"s, one going bad and the other not suitable for editing.  I need my setup to have two monitors of the same size (and probably resolution) for my own sanity... so 24-27".  I will most likely be buying two (unless I go with a pricier 24" Eizo and keep an ancient 24 next to it.. I am having a bit of a hard time with the idea of putting that much into ONE monitor, when my computer needs upgrading).  I think I'd prefer to go with QHD.  This is a HAVE to expense right now, and I need it ASAP with sessions on the table.  That being said, I don't want to rush and buy a monitor that I will want to replace in the near future.

Yes, I only need one to edit - just will go crazy if I have two different sizes on my desk.  Maybe I'll decide on a 24 I like so I can keep my old one.

As for the uniformity, some reviews and various comments in forums that I have read comment on the lack of uniformity .  Below are a couple of links to some in depth reviews that show it.  Maybe it's not enough to be concerned about?

the dell

https://fstoppers.com/originals/fstoppers-reviews-dell-up2516d-wide-gamut-monitor-149238

the benq - https://www.color-management-guide.com/benq-sw2700pt-monitor-review.html

The problem is, Damien and I aren't a Review Channel on YouTube. We don't get monitors sent to us for free to review. Honestly, I wouldn't buy either of those monitors you linked to. Yes...uniformity is what you are after and is the reason that we recommend IPS screens. They are supposed to be uniform, or at least have the best chance of uniformity, vs a TN Display Panel.

BenQ Monitors are difficult to calibrate and the one you linked to comes with it's own software to calibrate it. I'm not so sure about being locked into a complete system like that; especially if you can't get your prints to match the screen. My advice, pay attention to the reviews and go hunting. Take each review site with a grain of salt. Remember, there is always a possibility of them getting money for an endorsement / review. I know, this doesn't answer WHAT monitor to buy and not there are so many choices these days, it's hard to decide on one. If we do, it's replaced within 3 months.

Here is one that is decent:

https://www.amazon.com/Dell-UltraSharp-U2414H-Screen-Monitor/dp/B00GTV05XG/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1538708994&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=Dell+IPS+2711H

Another model that has great reviews:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0199W9UMS/ref=emc_b_5_i

In either case, do not use a 15-Pin VGA / D-Sub Cable (Blue Connector) with today's fancy screens. It's much better to use a Digital Connection, DVI, HDMI or DisplayPort instead of the old Analog VGA connector, that dates from 1989.

57 minutes ago, Brian said:

I'm not so sure about being locked into a complete system like that;

I would like to echo this.  Speaking as somebody who DID get locked into a system a few years ago, then left high and dry when the software upgrades dried up.

• Like 1

Oh, and let us know what you end up buying and what your experience is. The feedback that we get from the members is usually what gets us recommending stuff. I like suggesting equipment that either I have personal experience with or from several members raving about a certain piece of equipment. That's how I know that BenQ monitors can be a bit of a pain to calibrate; feedback in FB Ask Damien and posts / complaints from the members is what led to this statement/opinion.

Note: I'm going  to include more info here than my question needs just for anyone following along or needing help deciding in the future--

So, the more I look, it really comes down to the three monitors I originally mentioned to get the size (24-27") and features (QHD, wide-gammut) I want in the price range I am hoping for (mid-range, hoping for $500-$600 USD).  I'll say up front, yes I have read the wide gamut myth, yes I follow an sRGB workflow for my photo editing/lab printing.  But I also have a background in VFX and would like the ability to do vfx compositing and post production work in wider color spaces, and occasionally I do some graphics work for print.  4k would be nice, but the price tag gets too high, and then I feel like I might as well spend more to get an Eizo. I'm throwing out the BenQ due to your suggestions, and that leaves the Dells, both the same panel, just different sizes, and the prices are reduced right now and so the 27" (Dell UP2716D) seems like a great deal at $439 USD on amazon.  The Dell UP2516D is down to $309 USD.

So that leaves (hopefully) my last question.  How do we feel about Dell's Uniformity Compensation?  If that's an acceptable workaround, then I'm sold and will go for the Dell.  If not, then I either hold my breath and hope for getting a unit with good uniformity or shell out a whole lot more for an Eizo.

Like I said before, I wouldn't buy either of those monitors that you linked to. I don't care if it's on F-Stoppers. The light-bleed seems to be a bit too high and it's not consistent. I think you need to search a bit more. 4K video is the normal for today and 8K is on the horizon. Followed by 16K and 32K over the next decade. If you are editing video, you really should set your sights on a decent display AND video card to support that display. $500-$700 seems to be typical for something decent, display-wise. Honestly, since you do edit video, I think two 24" displays might work a bit better for you.

Manufactures today spit out more product and options than ever before. If you wait another couple of months, there will be a whole other batch of displays to choose from. Back in the day, I would typically recommend a Dell U2412m Display, it was a great monitor, I had friends in real life buy them and have used them. It was uniform and had no light bleed. Back in the day, it was a GREAT display.  It was like a Canon 5D Mark II camera, it was fancy enough to get the job done, but was affordable. Now from what I've seen, things are just made cheaper across the board. Meaning, don't think that Eizo hasn't cut corners either. The phrase, "They don't make them like they used to..." is more true today than years before. It's all a crap-shoot. That's why I pay attention to the reviews that are either lower in stars or ones that have problems. (I discard the bad-reviews for DOA products. Of course they are going to give it 1-star, it was damaged / broken in shipping.)

Like Damien, all I can advise you on is based on my personal experience and what our members report back on. I wish there was a display that was the "Magic Bullet;" meaning everyone buy this ____________ monitor it's amazing. I wish there was something better that I could recommend.

Oh, if you are serious about video and shoot professionally, I would just buy a new iMac Pro. LMAO. Give this video a watch, plus I did a little digging, this is the curved LG Display that he uses for his Windows Rig: LG-38UC99-W. Granted, it's way more than you are looking for, but I'm thinking you should be looking at what is the best display for editing video, still image editing requires a lot less performance from your display.

The mac won't work for me for a number of reasons, but that is really interesting.  The opposite is true for vfx work, though- software is developed for PCs and it's what all the vfx houses run.  That display you linked to looks beautiful.  It's not wide-gamut, though.  I should probably stop shopping in the middle range...

2 hours ago, farrah said:

I should probably stop shopping in the middle range...

Yeah, I'm thinking you need to either "Go-Big-or-Go-Home" with your current needs. It's one thing picking a $500 display and be happy with it, it's another thing wasting $500 and "...why did I not just spend the money on the better monitor and be done with it?!?!!" If you are shooting / editing professionally, I always recommend the professional tools. Sure, you can do things with less, but it's a whole lot easier when you have the right equipment.

Take my Nikon D4s. Sure I could and have shoot weddings with my D300s, heck I started out with a Minolta X-370 film camera at 19 with my 1st Wedding. The D4s doesn't fight me and is always ready for the next shot. I would hate to go to a lower-end body, I'm spoiled now. There is a difference working with Pro-Grade Gear.

Whatever you do, make sure you are using a DisplayPort or HDMI cable for you new display. To get the best contrast, color, sharpness you need a digital connection. Analog VGA (15 Pin D-Sub) just doesn't cut it. At the very least, use a DVI-D cable. 

Results:  I went with the Eizo CS2730.  It did not disappoint!  It's beautiful.  My shadows never seemed to match on the Dell ultrasharp when comparing prints to my backlit screen.  I find  this to be near perfect on the Eizo.  I'm loving the extra resolution of QHD, and even tolerating the resolution difference between the two monitors (though I will remedy that soon with a second cheaper 27).  The monitor (CNX version) came with Eizo's own calibrator (EX3) and software (Color Navigator).  The ex3 is a rebranded spyder5 for those who might be trying to figure that out in the future... and the difference between spyder models lies in the software, not hardware.  The monitor is hardware calibrated, and the buttons on the monitor can switch between color profiles at the touch of a button (convenient if one wanted to switch between profiles for a photography workflow vs video editing or whatever it may be).

For anyone wanting to check out a review from a color guy on the monitor, I found this one helpful-

https://www.color-management-guide.com/eizo-coloredge-cs2730-monitor-review.html

Thank you for your help guys!

• Like 1

I’m glad you found a monitor and I totally get what you are saying, after shooting with a Nikon D3s and Nikon D3s, other camera bodies feel like toys. 

I’m thinking of putting that Eizo on my wishlist. Thanks for the head’s up.