Mac Color Controls

heatherps

I'm calibrated with a Spyder but my last 3 print orders from WHCC have come in "off".  Talked to WHCC SEVERAL times about this, as my old test prints match my screen exactly.  They've explained that they calibrate their machines from time to time so I need to adjust my monitor to match their prints now.  My monitor is CLOSE, but I need to tweak it.  I feel really dumb but I've searched and searched and can't find the color controls for a mac.  Anyone know where to point me?

Ugh, I was afraid of that.  It was SO easy with the PC monitor!!

I have followed your instructions in the past bc you're like the tech guru, but (admittedly) have gotten a bit lazy with it.  Will re-visit the link you provided above and re-calibrate again.  Thanks!

Don’t mess with the built in Mac Monitor / Calibration Controls. They are worthless. 

Have you considered using a different printing company? I stopped using WHCC years ago. I currently use CPQ and I have a Mac. 

I noticed that!  The calibration was horrible.  Not even close to my prints.  With WHCC I have to bring my screen brightness almost down to zero- maybe one click up.  I don't mind a darker screen compared to most people but this dark is pretty annoying.

I'm not opposed to using a different printer.  I've used MPIX, Nations, H&H, Musea, Finao, Millers, & Bay (that I can think of off the top of my head).  Mpix was my go-to for a long time and then prints seemed to get inconsistent & wonky with them.  Never heard of CPQ but I will check them out!

CPQ is decent. I like them. The thing to know is to not push your colors. You don’t need to go nuclear as there colors are bright. 

Yes, Mac screens are really bright. It’s not unheard of being one or two ticks from the left to get a realistic physical print brightness. 

• Like 1

Just got my test prints from CPQ - love the colors!  Thanks for the recommendation!

Now, how do I calibrate for them?  ?  

I couldn't find my Spyder so I bought an x-rite and re-followed Damien's calibration instructions and now WHCC is matching my screen dead-on.  

Edited by heatherps

16 hours ago, heatherps said:

Yes.  Colors are the same.  CPQ just has a little extra "punch" 

Yep. CPQ adds a bit more "punch." That's normal. That's why I say don't push your colors in post. (Saturate, Vibrance, use Color Boost Actions, etc.) This is due to the ink that they use on the printers and how they are calibrated. I will say CPQ is pretty consistent, so once you figure out how to edit photos to be printed by them, there aren't surprises.