Changed my "WCS Device Profile" Under Color Management - Will that impact anything?

Just a little back story:  I have had a mismatch in the display color between ACR and PSCC for MONTHS, have been researching and trying fix after fix after fix, with no impact.  Issue was with ACR displaying over-saturated compared to everything else.

I finally stumbled on a post in here (referenced below) that included a tutorial on how to change the "Profiles associated with this device" under Color Management (screenshot below).  It. Fixed. It.  (Hallelujia Chorus in background).  

I don't really understand the setting that I changed, so my question is:  Is there going to be some other unintended impact that I'm not aware of?  Like my carefully calibrated monitor will no longer match my lab, or something equally unacceptable?  And did I just undo all my monitor calibration work by changing the default device profile?  THANK YOU for any light you can shed!

And in case it helps, here's the previous post/video that helped fix it (which was addressing a completely different issue, I was just desperate enough to try anything :)): 

ColorManagement_Screenshot.jpg

Edited by ColleenH
Forgot to say thanks :)

1 hour ago, ColleenH said:

I don't really understand the setting that I changed, so my question is:  Is there going to be some other unintended impact that I'm not aware of?  Like my carefully calibrated monitor will no longer match my lab, or something equally unacceptable?  And did I just undo all my monitor calibration work by changing the default device profile?  THANK YOU for any light you can shed!

I don't know. I tried to follow the video on my computer, but for whatever reason it couldn't find my monitors and could only find my printer! So I'm not even sure what that setting does. 

Have you taken your prints out and compared them to your monitor after you did this?

You and me both.  Good call on comparing to print... previous prints look pretty close to on-screen, just a tiny bit darker in print than on screen.  That's pretty normal, right? Backlit vs. Not?

I don't have any prints to compare that were edited with the new settings yet, since those are new today, but that's the next order of business.  I'm hopeful that since Photoshop (and everything but ACR) are still displaying the same as before, it'll be fine, but I really hate changing a color management setting I don't understand.  And no idea what that will do when I do my next scheduled monitor calibration.  Gotta keep it exciting somehow, I guess.

44 minutes ago, ColleenH said:

You and me both.  Good call on comparing to print... previous prints look pretty close to on-screen, just a tiny bit darker in print than on screen.  That's pretty normal, right? Backlit vs. Not?

It depends since we might have different definitions of "tiny". lol Make sure the light in your room is bright and as good as it can be, for starters. 

Normally, I'd advise you to lower the brightness on your monitor until it matches - but I'm unsure how that would work after what you've done here. I'm thinking you'll need to recalibrate, but I'd wait for Damien to advise on that. 

Okay, thank you both!  I'm overdue for calibration this month anyway.  I'm going to finish the session I started first, but I'll post back here if anything worthwhile comes out of the recalibration that might help anyone else in the future.

• Like 2