Ram Update

amyjo415

Brian,  where is your go to place for RAM?  I have a late 2014 iMac I want to increase ram in.  Apple has the instructions on their site as to how and seems pretty easy.  But, am I best to go through them to purchase it?  Or a 3rd party?  Because of a very good deal I got when I purchased it, I am only running on base 8 GB.

Head to Crucial.com. Run their scanning tool, it will take you to a page with your options. You are looking for a 16GB Kit (two 8GB sticks). That should take you from 8GB to 24GB without removing existing RAM.

Which iMac size do you have? It sounds like the 27” model. If it is, it’s pretty straightforward to upgrade your RAM. 

There has been a shortage of RAM, it always happens at this time of year. The materials that make the memory sticks become a little more scarce. Then they restock. What RAM did it link you to? Do you have the part number? Sometimes you can find it on Amazon, B&H, etc. In fact, I bought my Crucial RAM for my new iMac from B&H. It was $20 cheaper than Crucial had on their website. LOL!

The one on Amazon isn’t the exact same model, but it should work fine. 

Buy the kit for $114 from Amazon. There are plenty of YouTube videos demonstrating the installation method. Just make sure your iMac is unplugged and you touch something close by that is metallic to ground yourself before handling the RAM. 

I noticed that my RAM cage in my iMac had a tendency to flop back into the computer. So be prepared for this, especially if you install it with the screen face down.