ASUS laptop: VivoBook, TUF, or ROG?

Hi Brian; I am looking to replace an elderly laptop. I won't be editing photos on this but I want to be able to in a pinch. I nearly bought one at Costco the other day but I choked at the last minute. Plus I realize I am not going to be able to be at the low-end price point I was hoping. I see now I will have to spend more. 

Now looking at ASUS. Can't tell the difference between these terms: VivoBook, TUF and ROG. Would you recommend either of these models or should I keep looking:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-vivobook-15-6-laptop-intel-core-i7-16gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1050-1tb-hard-drive-256gb-solid-state-drive-reaper-black/6219386.p?skuId=6219386

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-tuf-gaming-15-6-laptop-intel-core-i7-16gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1060-1tb-hdd-256gb-solid-state-drive/6297095.p?skuId=6297095

(I truly dislike chiclet keys!  Do ASUS  laptops have decent keyboards?)

I like Asus ROG laptops. Several friends of mine have (and love) them, and even Damien owns one. 

The new chicklet keyboards seem to be all the rage. They are even on desktop computers. You’ll have to adapt. :/ 

The only thing that concerns me about that ROG for $1199 is the size of the 256GB Hard Drive. It’s small. So for general computing and installing a program or two, it’s fine. A dumping ground for your 75 photos of your lunch from 5 years ago...notsomuch. :) 

My bad. I was looking at this on my phone. Didn’t realize that you had to click stuff. 

Anyway, my remarks stand with the 256GB SSD drive. You will need to be ANAL on what is put on that HD. Because after formatting and Windows being installed, plus any other bloatware that is installed, you probably only have 175GB or so to play with. 

You are absolutely correct. Good thing it will only hold the OS and a few programs. All files will be on the hybrid HDD which is 1 TB. 

When I migrated my OS to an SSD in my Dell XPS desktop, I did start with a 128 GB M2 drive, after a while I swapped it out for a 512,  much better, all my files are on 2 and 4 TB internal drives. I use an internal SSD for my PS swap disk. I’m pretty happy with this setup. 

• Like 1