Monitors to look at

Mummaducka

I'm up for a new editing system. My over 6 year old, main editing computer 27" Imac has pooped itself and won't stay started, it keeps restarting and has funny lines jumping around on the screen. All my work is on external drives and backed up to crashplan so no worries there. I also have an almost 7 yr old MacBook pro that has been an absolute workhorse and is going strong- but I know these things are just a matter of time. I always have said that I would buy a mac pro and a special editing monitor when the time came. However I'm now thinking that I will buy a new MacBook pro as I use it relentlessly and an editing monitor to attach it to at home to do the main editing. so save on having a desktop. I'm a diehard mac user for my own personal gear (Windows at work) lol!

My question is, what IPS monitors are the Go at the moment, I have had a quick look at the Eizo-  at over $6k, but am wondering what other ones I should be looking at- Benq? or is there some whizz bang fab new ones around that I could be focussing on?

For starters, if you are just editing still photographs and not doing anything with video, you don't need a iMac Pro. In fact, Adobe Photoshop will run slower than if you were to run it on a tricked-out 27" iMac. It has to do with the CPU chip and other items in the Mac Pro...Photoshop doesn't take advantage of them. Now, if you were editing video, then that's a whole other ballgame.

If you are set on a Macbook Pro, then start with the $2799 15" Model. Even though it pains me to say this, since Apple solders the RAM to the motherboard with the current MBP Models, be sure to upgrade the RAM to 32GB!! YOU CAN NOT UPGRADE THE RAM YOURSELF AFTER THE FACT! Yes, Apple's RAM is severely overpriced, but you have no choice. While you are at it, upgrade the HD to a 1TB SSD Drive. Your price before Tax / Shipping and AppleCare is $3599.

733375296_ScreenShot2018-11-29at9_27_31PM.thumb.png.2ff0e3f5b1c307c14ef5571ea03737ba.png

You don't need to spend the money on a i9 CPU now, unless you want to Max things out and spend another $300. It's only money, right? Photoshop is just starting to take advantage of the architecture that makes a i7 and i9 so fast, but from the benchmarks that I've seen, there isn't a HUGE difference between a Intel i7 and i9 but give it time. I'm sure PS CC 20-Whatever will utilize faster CPUs in the future.

As for a Monitor, Damien has a Eizo. They are excellent monitors but really overpriced for what they are. There are lots of decent 27" IPS-based Screens for way less money and you really want a USB-C display to use with a 2018 MBP. I tend to recommend Dell Monitors, since they tend to be easy to calibrate. The Dell S2718D caught my eye. It's a IPS screen and will charge your new MBP while you are using the display. Just a note, it won't charge as fast as the power supply that came with the MBP. (47W from the Display vs 87W from the MBP Power Supply.) BENQ displays, I've delt with them at customer sites and they always seem to die. HP and Dell Displays last forever. In the past, BENQ displays were extremely difficult to calibrate so they normally do not get on my recommended list. That said, this could have changed, though for me, I tend to like and stick with Dell and HP monitors.

Oh, I'm moving this thread to the Macintosh Users Group.

Yeah, these new MBPs are basically sealed units and the RAM is soldered to the board. Which sucks. 32GB isn't bad to have though. I have 40GB in my maxed out 27" iMac and it works really well. What I'm not sure about is how well the new video cards that come with a MBP work with Photoshop. That's why I didn't upgrade the video, I know the Radeon Pro 560X works just fine with PS. 

I ordered this one yesterday. https://www.dell.com/en-au/work/shop/dell-27-usb-c-ultrathin-monitor-s2719dc/apd/210-apyf/monitors-monitor-accessories The Dell support said it was the equivalent of the one you recommended. if it doesn't work out my Med student daughter can use it to blow up slides and whatnot to view them via her MBP. Now to order the new MBP for me! I'll see if my current one connects well via the HDMI to the new monitor before I jump. :)