Saving from Photoshop Problem with Layers

I'm having a problem saving my photos from Photoshop.  The picture looks fine in Photoshop, but when I export it I can see what looks like my burn layer, but really dark.  It's not the same as the burn later, though, which I can tell by clicking on the mask.  It's a mess.

The only place the photo looks right is in Photoshop.  Once I save it, any other program looks like the one I've pasted here.  

Why is this happening?  I can't figure it out!

160130_Moiras Kids_097-Edit.jpg

I'm saving as a tiff from photoshop.  That's typically what I do.  But since you mentioned it, I tried saving as a psd and it worked fine when I opened it.  

Do you know why the file format I'm saving is causing a problem?  Is it a problem with saving it as a tiff file?  I've never had this problem before.

I was viewing it mainly in Lightroom after editing in Ps, but I tried opening in windows viewer to see if it was a Lr or Ps problem.

I have the colormunki smile calibrator.  I know it's not recommended, but I bought it before I knew that.  It took a lot of convincing for my husband to give me the okay to buy it in the first place, that replacing it with a better (and more expensive) calibrator isn't an option right now, unfortunately.

Thanks for you help.

1 hour ago, Amity said:

You asked about the calibrator - does the calibration look off?

No, no, not at all.  There's just a little setting in the Preferences of some calibrators that can affect how images appear in non-Photoshop programs; however I don't think it applies to you or your Smile.

• Like 1

oh no!  This is happening with another file and saving it as a psd didn't help!  It's fine if I flatten it and export as a jpg, but I would rather not have to do that.  

6 minutes ago, Amity said:

oh no!  This is happening with another file and saving it as a psd didn't help!  It's fine if I flatten it and export as a jpg, but I would rather not have to do that.  

Make sure to send that one to Damien too, so he can take a look at it. 

1 minute ago, Samantha LaRue said:

Make sure to send that one to Damien too, so he can take a look at it. 

Okay, it's the same issue, just saved as a psd instead of a tiff.  do you think he'd want to see both?

I see the problem on the TIFF file in Windows Viewer.

This isn't actually a real problem.  It's simply the result of a "dumb" program not being able to properly understand the layers created in a "smart" one.

As long as you do all your browsing in Bridge, and of course never send TIFF files to clients, all is well.

• Like 1

This is none of Adobe's business.  It's a problem with your workflow, not for your workflow.

If you want to take it up with someone, take it up with Microsoft.  It's their program that can't see your files.

I urge you to use Bridge for this purpose.  Windows Viewer and other "dumb" programs can't handle the high-end stuff like this.