AF fine tune

fanofdmb84

I fine tuned/calibrated my 6 lenses last night for the first time. I felt like I was always getting soft photos regardless of, well, anything. I was surprised to see nearly all of them required massive adjustments to - 20, which is as far as my camera allows (Nikon D7000). I've also seen mutterings of this model having focus issues, so what I'm wondering is if all my lenses need such drastic fine tuning, should I be considering having my camera looked at? It's 6 years old and my only body, so sending it in is not something I'm taking lightly, but I am pretty clueless about what is normal and what is a problem.

-20 on all of your lenses? That is not normal. Hmm...I'd say your D7000 needs tweaking from Nikon. I could see a -2 or even a -5...but -20? That's way too far out of tolerances.

Now for even more bad news. The D7000 is discontinued, and I even think the D7200 is as well. The next step is to determine which new body you are going to purchase. Plan on going FX or sticking with DX? The D7500 is the current model that replaces your D7000. I just can't justify spending $300 or so to have a D7000 fixed since camera bodies only last for about 3-4 years or so. Six years is a good run for a camera body as today's camera's are computers that think they are cameras.

So let's talk lenses...which ones do you have?

Oh no :( I mean, I've been looking for an excuse to upgrade my camera, but I wasn't planning on exploring that option so soon.

I want to stay with DX. I've been eyeing the D500 but frankly I'm overwhelmed with all the different bodies and options. I know I want the articulating rear screen on my next one, but beyond that, I'm not very particular.

Lenses, I have 18-105mm, 50mm (1.8), 35mm, 70-300mm, & 105mm Micro (all Nikkor), and a Tokina 11-16mm.

Actually, a D500 isn't as scary as it would seem. It's nice having an external button for all your main choices and not having to dig into a menu. The tough part is going through the manual and setting each of the camera settings but once you get it setup, it's quite easy to operate. My vote is either a D7500 or D500 and personally, I'm leaning towards a D500.

• Like 1

Here is an idea...

How about downloading the D500 manual and give it a read? It’s free and you’ll know what you are getting into before forking out any cash. I’ve played with D500 and it’s a nice camera.

I will warn you though, once you upgrade to a larger body with advanced features and get used to it, the lower-end bodies will feel like toys. ;) 

https://downloadcenter.nikonimglib.com/en/products/323/D500.html

• Thanks 1