New PC recommendations

Yes. It’s very easy to add more RAM at a later date. You can order it online and install it yourself. The XPS Desktop Line is pretty easy to work on. 

Right now just get the computer and we will go from there. 

1. Purchase the computer. Get it setup and start using it.
  2. Head to Crucial.com and download their scanning tool on the new computer. Run the Scanner.
  3. After the scanning tool does its thing, it will take you to a page with your options
  4. Post a screen shot here with said options and I will let you know which kit to purchase.
  5. You will install the RAM yourself and I can assist you with this process. There are also several YouTube videos that demonstrate what you do. It's not that hard.
  6. I will also have a few tidbits and precautions for you to do before the install, so check back with me before you open the case.

Installing RAM in a Desktop is easy.

OK, Dell is running a weekend sale! I wrote down all the specs you suggested, but some seem a little different his time (maybe it's just me). Can you just confirm these are the same specs as the previous one?

DELL-1.JPG

DELL-2.JPG

DELL-3.JPG

It's fine. Buy it.

It's not just you, it probably is different. These manufactures will configure units with the parts that are currently in inventory and that changes from week-to-week or month-to-month. There isn't any real difference as far as you are concerned.

Enjoy your purchase.

• Like 1

Personally, I'd get a 1TB SSD Hard Drive if you can. Single Configuration. We could always add a 2nd HD to your computer at a later time. It's pretty easy to install.

• Thanks 1

Hi Brian, I am elated to tell you I now have my new Dell desktop and Monitor up and running! Wow, I can't believe I waited so long to upgrade. Such a huge difference! Thanks so much for all of your help and guidance throughout this process! I am forever grateful! I went to Curical.com today and did the computer scan and these were all the options it suggested for me:

Crucial-1.PNG

Crucial-2.PNG

Crucial-3.PNG

Crucial-4.PNG

Crucial-5.PNG

On 4/3/2019 at 10:48 AM, CatherineL said:

How easy is it to get more RAM from Crucial.com? Is it something you do online or order and install myself?

It's really easy to do. Plenty of YouTube videos demonstrating the process and yes, you can install it yourself. There are a few things that you need to do beforehand, though.

One is to unplug the computer and wait about a minute or so which will allow your computer to discharge completely. You see, power switches aren't true power switches anymore, they are like TVs these days. (Instant on.) They are now wired to the motherboard, and are more of a "Request for Power" notification for the motherboard to tell the power supply to turn on. Back in the old days (Pre-2000's) power switches were hard wired to the power supply. That's not the case any longer. Now computers are instant on and if you have a SSD Drive, Windows 10 and Mac systems will go from a powered off state to a login screen in about 15-20 seconds.

The other thing you need to do is to touch something metal to discharge any static electricity. Electronic components do not like being zapped. Now today's components are a lot better when it comes to failures from static, as the materials are better manufactured and designed better. Gone are the days of waving a styrofoam cup close to a motherboard for a few minutes and have the computers start acting really weird and locking up. LOL!! (This was in the 1980's.) Your typical static dis-charge is about 3000 volts or so, with very little amps. Meaning, even though the components are manufactured better, you still want to ground yourself before touching them as things don't like to be zapped. A simple touch of a metal source should be fine. Just don't walk across the room, touch your refrigerator to ground yourself, then walk back across the room to your computer. You could build up a small charge from the fridge to the computer if the conditions are right. 

The third thing, and probably the most difficult, is to get the damn case open. Some are easier than others. Some cases you have to move something out of the way to insert the memory sticks, so that could add a step or so. The physical installation of RAM is EASY. It only goes in one way and you need to be firm but gentle when installing them. As a friend told me when I gave her instructions over the phone, "Oh...you have to make your fingers hurt a little to get them to seat correctly." My response, "Yup."

So that's basically it. Crucial.com has a free scanning tool, which is safe to use. It will scan your computer and then take you to a page with your options on what type of RAM to purchase. I can help you with that selection. If it's in stock, Crucial takes about 2-3 days to ship, unless you pay for overnight shipping.

I just checked YouTube. Here is a video from Crucial.com, which is a good demo on the process. It basically repeats everything I wrote above. LOL!!

What RAM did the scanning tool find out? I need to know any numbers, DDR4, what speed, CL values, etc.How much RAM is in there now, and how many slots are open? I'm thinking you have two slots occupied and two slots free.

Also, which PC did you get? I know thing have changed over the last month or so.

Hmm...

I'm curious on what memory is installed. The scanning tool isn't saying. You really don't want to mix the speeds of RAM, and they all should be the same speed. I have a hard time believing that DDR4-3000 sticks are in your computer and it's more likely the 2666 ones. You will need to buy at least a pair, and I would purchase a 32GB Kit. This way you will have 48GB of RAM to play with. Here is what I think you should buy but I could be wrong:

Screen Shot 2019-04-29 at 8.32.02 AM.png

Now, I'd really like to be sure on what RAM is currently installed in your computer. You can download this program, CPU-Z from CPUID.COM. Run the CPU-Z program and click the Memory Tab. Look for the Memory SPD Section. Report back on what the "Max bandwidth" line says. It should say something like:

"Max bandwidth DDR4-2666 (1333 MHz)"

• Thanks 1

Ok, I was right. Then the memory I did a screenshot above, P/N: CT11062269 - The 32GB Kit is what you want. You can either swap the existing RAM with the Crucial RAM and put the Dell RAM in the two empty slots or vice-versa. 

• Like 1