Aperture to bridge to what photo album creating software?

Rtoulson

Hi! I’m a complete novice with an interest in photography and trying to get my act together...I’m a former aperture user (I loved it and it worked for my (poor!) level of technical sophistication), and I really need to overhaul everything and get a consolidated workflow, organisation of photos etc and would like to find a new way of doing this and creating photo albums. I know you recommend bridge - would you even recommend it for a user like me? And if so, what platform/program would you recommend for the photo album creation that would work with bridge? Is photoshop worth it for me (or is it too advanced, I’d like to learn more and develop further but presently time poor so need something that I could work with right now? iPhoto just seems too basic.). Thankyou for any guidance- I’m feeling quite overwhelmed by the whole process of moving from aperture and I’ve got photos in all sorts of places and really want to do it properly, but have no idea of the what and how...

27 minutes ago, Rtoulson said:

would you even recommend it for a user like me?

Gosh yes.  Aperture was so unnecessarily complicated. Once you realise how simple file management is supposed to be, you'll shake your head in sorrow for all that wasted time in Aperture.

28 minutes ago, Rtoulson said:

And if so, what platform/program would you recommend for the photo album creation that would work with bridge? Is photoshop worth it for me (or is it too advanced, I’d like to learn more and develop further but presently time poor so need something that I could work with right now? iPhoto just seems too basic.).

Yes, Photoshop is unnecessarily advanced.  Go for Photoshop Elements.

But there's a learning curve, of course, as with anything.

Thanks Damien - both for the quick response - and it looks doable! Only remaining question is the photo album creator - do you have any suggestions? Just wondering if there needs to be some sort of compatibility between it and the adobe software? Apologies for the naive/ignorant questions- I’d just like to do my homework to make sure I set it up right so I learn and do it the best way from the beginning ?

These days, Album companies have their own album creation tools and are VERY easy to use. You don't have to deal with stupid templates and such, just make sure your photos are edited and saved properly, especially in terms of brightness. A display that's too bright will result in dark albums.

I  have used ZNO.com in the past and like them. Their prices are reasonable and their albums are WAY BETTER than Snapfish. Here is what the layout control panel looks like:

Screen Shot 2019-03-19 at 9.54.24 PM.png

You might not be able to see it but all you do is upload your photos, pick the layout template at the bottom and drag and drop your photos. Easy-Peasy.