From now until Sunday or Monday I'll be busy with our school's fete.  I'll still be online, but not as frequently as usual.  Thanks for your patience.

paul hendrick

creative director

Hello Damian

Really useful article on preparing images for newspapers. Its impossible to get a straight answer these days and the sales team are loathe to let you speak to an inky.

We prepare press ads for the national press. We do use the specified profiles but results are still mixed. Even when using a specified profile an advert may not pass the flight check.

Currently we try use original RGB image then import it into indesign then output to pdf using the press profile supplied by the title. However sometimes the artwork is still rejected by specle as the ink coverage of a certain image  be over the limit despite using the profile.

When i convert the original RGB to the CMYK profile before importing into indesign and then outputting to the prescribed profile the advert passes specle but i lose a lot of colour.

Should i be reducing ink levels in the original image and keep it as  RGB  file rather than converting to CMYK before output to pdf?

Nobody knows about newsprint repro any more help. Happy to pay for some advice.

kind regards

Paul Hendrick

DJH