Nikon Z7 vs D 850

Hi Brian,

Well, I've read all the reviews...

Have you had any "hands on" with either or both of these cameras? Can you put a cigarette paper between them?

Do you have any opinion you'd be willing to share?

I actually just got a D850 about a month or so ago. The Z7 looks interesting, especially now since Nikon just released new firmware which greatly improves AF on the Z6 and Z7. I also like how they released a 24-70 f/2.8 S lens as well.

OK, one thing with either, is you will need to have a support structure in place. The Raw files are huge and are sometimes sluggish working with in PS. So a large HD to store your Raw files will be required and 32GB of RAM for your computer. Actually, I have 40GB in my 2017 27" iMac and am seriously considering bumping it up all the way to 64GB. Like I said, D850 Raw files can be huge and Photoshop gets sluggish if you try to do a bunch of stuff like duplicating layers, flattening, applying other edits, etc. All the bad stuff that Damien jumps up and down about. Basically, you will definitely need to follow Damien's teachings to keep those Raw files / PSD files under control...for either 45MP body. Using bought-actions will not be the way to go with 45MP files. Now, in case you are wondering, I really don't mess around with the lossless compression with my D850, as I've found it can shift the colors ever-so-slightly, esp. in the greens. Believe it or not, I still find 12-Bit Uncompressed Raw to be the best multipurpose Raw format that works for the majority of shots. With 14-bit when I want to get crazy with high MP Landscapes, etc. but I've been published with using 12-bit Uncompressed Raw format.

Now beyond the D850 Raw files, you WILL NEED TO HAVE THE CURRENT LENSES TO GO WITH IT. Period. I had the original 24-70 f/2.8G and while it works on a D850, the new 24-70 f/2.8 E VR lens works so much better. So add that to the budget. Also, plan on getting a 70-200 f/2.8 E lens as well. That 45MP sensor really is hungry for the best glass.

So what is wrong with the 24-70 f/2.8G?

It's nice and sharp in the center, but as soon as you move away from the center the sides are just crap on a D850. They are soft. So if you do detail photos and you require that middle portion of the frame to be tack-sharp, and nothing else, the original 24-70 works just fine. If you are using it as a general purpose lens, you will want the newer VR version. Plus, I know the reason that the newer version has a 82mm thread size instead of the typical Nikon 77mm...the original 24-70 G lens vignettes when you look in the viewfinder on a D850. It doesn't show up in the photos, but when you look in the viewfinder, you'll see four dark corners and it's really annoying. So Nikon "fixed" this by making the newer 24-70 VR version a bit wider. Not only for the VR, but I'm sure for the vignetting on the D850.

The 24-70 E lens is sharper from edge to edge, and is "Okay Sharp" in the middle. With the D850 this is what you want...that edge to edge sharpness. That's what you get with the 24-70 VR and new 70-200 E lens. Also, VR is your reality. Period. The D810 was notorious with showing flaws in your technique, with it's 36MP, but the D850 is much worse at 45MP. Without VR, you will find that you'll need to be 4 over the focal length to get sharp photos. So that means at 200mm, you are at 1/1000th of a second, at the very least. With VR, you will be able to "shoot normally," just as you always have. 

Honest opinion: I'm still trying to fall in love with my D850. I have a bit of buyer's remorse. Everyone raved about the D850 and it has all those awards and the "Gear Measurebators" foam at the mouth when it comes to a D850.  I'm like, "Meh." Hopefully my tune will change the more I shoot with it.

Going above ISO 6400 is sometimes painful on the D850, but on the flip-side, ISO 64 is a-m-a-z-i-n-g. You can pull out so much at ISO 64 and it has the most dynamic range from any camera that I've shot with. ISO 100 is no slouch either. Maybe I'm so used to my D4s and I just shoot without thinking with that body. It's like a "Fighter Jet" & the D850 is more like a "Bomber." Maybe I should have just bought a D5, it might have saved me money in the long run (without feeling the immediate need to get a 24-70E & 70-200E) but I was trying to go "smaller on the road" and be able to have a body without a built-in grip. In short, I spent way more than I was planning on.

Now for the Z7. It looks very interesting. I wish I would have held one in my hands and given it a serious test drive. In hindsight, the Z7 might have been purchased, along with a 24-70 f/2.8 S lens instead of a D850. The reason that lens over the f/4 version...once you have that f/2.8 at your disposal at any focal length, it's tough to go back.

So hopefully, I have given you some insight, and I have never touched a Mirrorless camera, so I'm not the best to ask. If you can give the Z6 or Z7 a test drive, do-it. (The bodies are the same between the two, but I'm sure you know that. LOL!!) If you do get a Z6 or Z7, the very first thing you should do is upgrade the firmware to the most current level.

• Like 2

Whatever you decide, now is the time to purchase Nikon Gear. They had a really rough quarter and their new fiscal year is about to begin. So certain lenses, have steep discounts. The D850 is on sale. The Z6 and Z7 are coming with free stuff and now free Sony 64GB XQD cards, so be sure to seek out those configurations on B&H's website.

• Like 2

Taking on board what you said about infrastructure, I've gone for the Z6. My D3 is 12 years old. I cannot believe the improvements in noise performance they have made in the timer interval. I have upgraded the firmware. So far I have only pratted around, but I have proper shoots on Friday and Saturday so I'll be sending Damien some pics from the Z6 early next week.

Thank you again :D

• Like 1

Sweet!! The Z6 is a good choice and is a great place to start. You should have gotten the free lens adapter so you can use your D3 lenses with it. Keep me posted on how the Z6 is. Like I can afford another camera, LMAO!!

• Haha 1