Banding or artifact on seamless paper

MelissaL

I'm getting really frustrating with seamless paper - I love the look but hate the banding and color issues.  Am I doing something wrong??I always need a fill layer in the final for print image to avoid any of this artifact and I just find myself not wanting to use the paper.  Can you assist? Here is a classic sample of the SOOC and then once I run a simple workflow the banding just goes crazy, but you can see - it is in the original as well and would need dealt with.  Would it do the same if I just picked a color and painted the wall vs. paper??

I'm shooting a Nikon D4 with a Sigma 1.4 Art lens and Einstein lighting with a large PLM diffuser (I've seen the same with prior modifiers such as my Octobox). I also typically have a reflector in use for these shots.

I would love to not HATE seamless!!!!

Thanks - Melissa

Koffel_0294 copy.jpg

Koffel_0294_edited.jpg

Metrione_0544_edit.jpg

Metrione_0544.jpg

I do shoot RAW.  I had not seen that article so I will check that out as well.  So would I edit my image and then re-open the SOOC and merge them???  What is the best way to handle it if you do want to shoot the seamless?

Curious - will a painted wall behave the same?  I've heard other people say that they don't have this issue when they use a real wall.

I have a brand new 27" MAC with the upgraded retina display - LOL, there better not be an issue with my screen! Maybe what I'm seeing in the RAW file isn't banding.  On the image above, the left side of the image looks like there is some funky color variation going on.  After processing - you can see from the first post that this area was a mess.

Yeah, it's banding.

Ok, this is what I need you to do.  Open the SOOR in Photoshop, then go to Edit>Assign Profile.  Assign your monitor profile to the image instead of sRGB, and tell me if the banding gets better, or worse, or stays about the same, or stays EXACTLY the same.

OK - stupid question but which of these is my monitor?  I went to the Apple site to see if there was any info on what to select and couldn't find anything. Is it just Apple RGB?

Screen Shot 2016-05-19 at 4.26.08 PM.png

OK - I can't find any information on which profile is correct so I flipped it to all and none look good.  Here is the SOOC and then I screen shot with each of those profiles and none seem to change the background issues, as best as I can tell.  This SOOC image has also not been adjusted at all - this is as shot.  The original example of this image I had brought down the exposure on the side of her face a bit.

Screen Shot 2016-05-19 at 7.13.12 PM.png

here is the 1st profile - crap!  Let me screen shot smaller, it won't let me upload them.  I was trying to stay large so you could see better.  The above image is the current profile.