Help getting results with my Spydercheckr

VictoryV

Hey there, 

I'm having trouble getting my Spydercheckr working.

My understanding is that when I photograph the SpyderCheckr during my shoot, then I take the photo through the software it creates a preset in LR that i can apply to the photos and it corrects the white balance among other things. 

Problem is when I do it the white balance doesn't change.   I'm not sure where I'm going wrong. 

Any help or suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

Victoria V

Damn it, you are the second person to tell me this lately.. luckily it came in a nice silver case that I use for clients to rest their feet on while I'm posing them. 

So I guess I'm getting some mileage out of it.. 

What would you suggest if I want great colour consistency/management? 

Thanks V

Yes I sure have! 

I have been getting my prints done at Photowarehouse in Wellington, but have just bought a printer... so am about to set that up.

I bought the Epson p600.

:) 

1 minute ago, VictoryV said:

Yes I sure have!

And are you getting a good screen-to-print match?

1 minute ago, VictoryV said:

have just bought a printer... so am about to set that up.

I bought the Epson p600.

Oh no!  You're just throwing away money lately :(

Some reading for you when you wake up.

I'm very glad you calibrate your monitor (though I'd sleep better tonight if you'd answered my question about whether you get a good screen-to-print match with your lab prints).  I'm not sure how deeply you understand the process behind monitor calibration, but for the purpose of this discussion I'll only outline it briefly.  The calibrator creates a profile, which is a description of the characteristics of your screen.  Every screen, old or new, has its idiosyncrasies.  If your screen tends to show reds a little bit too pink, for example, the calibrator doesn't correct that, it simply records it in the profile.  Then Photoshop can use that information to ensure that it compensates for the pink reds, thereby showing you correct red when you open a photo.

Likewise, a camera profile (such as made by a SpyderCheckr) doesn't actually change your photos.  It is merely a recording of the characteristics of your camera, for use by your software.  You, the operator, still have to do your editing in all the usual ways.

And that's where the white balance sheet comes in.  Did you watch the video I linked for you earlier in the thread?  It's SO important.  A million zillion times more important than a camera profile.  Good white balance is the basis of all your colour editing.  It's the answer to your question:

31 minutes ago, VictoryV said:

What would you suggest if I want great colour consistency/management?