ACR Merge to HDR

PamB

Hi Damien,

I have a PC desktop running Windows 10 Pro and Photoshop CC 20.0.6 20190724.r.80. It is over 2 years old, and has 16GB of RAM. Its hard drive has 106GB free out of 476GB. The last time I shut down was just before posting this thread. I ran a cleanup program moments ago. I have updated Photoshop, Bridge, and Camera Raw on this machine.

When attempting to merge 5 exposures to HDR in ACR, I receive the following:

image.png.936f816663e830aca674591c687bc715.png

I am able to successfully merge 3 or 4 images from the same set, but not 5.

I have a laptop on which I am able to merge all five exposures. Photoshop and Camera Raw have not been updated on that machine; it appears that Bridge has been updated.

How many MP is your camera? 

Have you checked for video driver updates? How much video RAM does your laptop have or is it shared with the RAM? What about the specs with the other laptop that the 5 images merge? 

The current version of PS CC use the Graphics Processor for things like this now, so if it’s underpowered, you might have to set your preferences to “basic” under the “use graphics processor” section. 

1 hour ago, Brian said:

How many MP is your camera? 

Have you checked for video driver updates? How much video RAM does your laptop have or is it shared with the RAM? What about the specs with the other laptop that the 5 images merge? 

The current version of PS CC use the Graphics Processor for things like this now, so if it’s underpowered, you might have to set your preferences to “basic” under the “use graphics processor” section. 

HI Brian,

Camera: 30.4 megapixels - files that I want to merge range from 28 to 36MB.

No, have not checked for video driver updates on the desktop nor the laptop. No idea how to check how much video RAM is available. The desktop is the machine with the issue, not the underspec laptop. Info for the laptop, which merges 5 files just fine: PC laptop running Windows 10 Pro and Photoshop CC. It is over 2 years old, and has 8GB of RAM. Its hard drive has 208GB free out of 454GB. The last time I shut down was more than 2 days ago. I run a cleanup program on it rarely.

I set preferences within PS on the desktop to basic and tested it; no difference in result.

The laptop is the one that works. It is a Toshiba Tecra A50-C purchased in 2016.

The desktop is the one that does not work. It was built for me, sometime around/prior to 2016. It has a 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor. These are the specs as noted above: PC desktop running Windows 10 Pro and Photoshop CC 20.0.6 20190724.r.80. It is over 2 years old, and has 16GB of RAM. Its hard drive had 106GB free out of 476GB, which I cleaned up to 189GB free of 476GB. I have updated Photoshop, Bridge, and Camera Raw on this machine.

image.thumb.png.e5fca0bbc64268bc88d0077e12d6e00f.png

Unfortunately, Damien's Computer Spec Tool doesn't help me in this case. :) Since the computer is having issues was built for you, that opens up a whole other set of things, like what video card was installed, what motherboard make and model, drivers for the motherboard and video card, BIOS Updates for the motherboard and how long since they have been upgraded? Are there updates? Etc. Etc.

I'm guessing nothing at this point has been upgraded. Anyway, I have done some Googling and it seems that when this problem happens, the Photoshop Preferences Files need to be reset, and that usually takes care of the problem. There are two ways to do this:

1. Manually - Allows you to move your files to a new folder and have a backup; thus giving you a way to undo the reset
  2. Automatic - The easier out of the two, but you will blow away all your PS settings. That said, things like brushes and actions will be fine, but you'll more than likely have to configure colorspace things, workspace preference, keyboard shortcuts that you created, etc. It's not as scary as it seems.

Basically, in either case, it resets Photoshop to its default setting to when it was first installed, not upgraded...installed on your computer for the first time.

Let me know which method you would like to use. Personally, the Automatic way would be the one I'd use.

It's none of those things apparently. As I suspected, updating PS and Camera Raw on the laptop has resulted in the same issue - I now cannot merge 5 files to HDR in ACR, only 4.