NEW ALIENWARE AURORA GAMING DESKTOP

Cindy

Hey there Brian,   

Just wondering what your thoughts are on these new ones.   I will be replacing a XPS this next year and I am watching sales.   

https://www.dell.com/en-us/member/shop/gaming-and-games/new-alienware-aurora-gaming-desktop/spd/alienware-aurora-r9-desktop/wdaurr930s?view=configurations&configurationid=098c84e8-6cdd-494c-bb8a-119e70146eb2

Seems decent. PS more than likely won’t take advantage of all that performance though and the version that would have the best chance is the latest and greatest PS CC. if you are running CS6, I’d spend that money on better lenses to make your photos better so you spend less time in PS. 

What really bothers me is the price. Plus, Alienware's tech support is not great after the fact. I know "Alienware" used to be awesome almost 20 years ago, and it was...before Dell bought them and they are practically now rebranded Dells. The only Dell line that I like and recommend is the XPS line.

What are you running now? Why are you looking to upgrade? How old is your current setup?

Also, I've been toying around with buying a Windows Computer from Digital Storm. You might want to give them a look.

I was just curious of the Brand they are promoting.   I've always used XPS's systems.    I have 2 with Windows 7 Pro XPS  and 1 with Windows 10 pro XPS.    The 2 7's need upgrading as they are 6&7 years old now.   They run like champs because I purchased right with the RAM, Graphics Cards, etc.     But I know I will need to upgrade to Windows 10 pro so I may as well start thinking about replacing at least one of these 7's.   

I purchase usually through Dell Small business.    I get a better deal that way and have 24-7 stateside (big plus there) support for 4-5 years depending on the level of system I buy.   They are amazing (Pro Support) I speak directly to a human and they go above and beyond every  time.   They have repaired or helped me repair a Windows 7 issue when talking about my current Windows 10.    

And no I am running PS CC not CS6.   I am current.  

Oh heck yes, it's much better to purchase through Dell Business.

How about this? Why not upgrade the Windows 7 units to Windows 10? How about for free and it's completely legal? There would be some things you would need to do beforehand, like make sure your drivers and BIOS is up-to-date, and have enough room on your HD.

Another thought is how about purchasing the current version of a Dell XPS? Spending $3000 on an Alienware just doesn't make sense to me if all you are doing is running Photoshop. Just because it's FAST and will make video-games run better, doesn't mean Photoshop will run any better than if it was on a current XPS box. Why waste a $1000?

I will go with a XPS no doubt now.   I was just curious as to what you thought of the Alienware new models mostly    ?  

I am always up to date with all my computers.   I am a bit driven weekly to be sure.    I always back up 4 places, run cleaners either a couple of times a week or weekly (depending on what I am doing).   I crack open my systems every season if not more and give them a cleaning.   And always double check my drivers from the manufacture.  NOT through any other source.   

See... I am pretty much the perfect client.   LOL   

Free and legal?????  I've yet to find that source.   Thank you and yes I have plenty of room   2TB on each.   

Awhile back, Microsoft was letting people upgrade from Windows 7 to 10 for free. They told everyone that they stopped the program after a year, but in reality, it's quietly still in effect.

All you have to do is create a 64-bit Windows OS Thumbdrive via the Windows Media Creation Tool. Boot off the Thumb-drive and let it install. If you leave your computer connected to the Internet, it will upgrade your Windows 7 license to a Windows 10 Digital License. All you need is a blank Thumb-drive, preferably a 8GB or 16GB Drive. Keep in mind this is a one-way proposition. You can't ever go back to Windows 7 with that license key after conversion.

I tried updating / upgrading to Windows 10 on my one Windows 7 Pro this way and it hasn't worked.   It seems that it's only a functioning non personalized version?   Is that right? 

I'd have to see a screen-shot on what you are talking about. This is a new one for me. When you purchase a store-bought computer, you aren't really buying "Microsoft Windows" per se, but the Dell Version of Windows, the HP Version of Windows, etc. etc. So your manufacture's copy of Windows 7...though legit, may not be truly up-gradable, depending on your license key and exact version that is installed on your laptop/computer.

Unfortunately, you won't find this out until you attempt to upgrade.

Sorry the delay Brian.   

I ended up paying 179.00 for a Windows 10 Pro key,    What happened was that yes, I had Windows 10 (not pro not anything  a digital version of 10) I did it to another computer I had here that is 8-9 years old before trying it on the other that I use most often (I was running 2-Windows 7 Pros and 1-Windows 10).    Upon investigating yes your method works but you won't be able to change much of anything in fact some even have a watermark on them.    When I installed Window 10 pro it on it's own decided to write over my Windows 7 Pro but it went without much effort other than drivers and such betting knocked out which I am used to.   So for the 179.99  it was well worth it for the security and all for the system and, it gives me a bit more time and savings for my new purchase.

I just can't get the Windows  10 pro system to see the drives on the new Windows 7/10pro system now.   I've tried everything.   I will keep trying or just resort at this point that I am at least not vulnerable to threats and such

Thank you always!!!! 

On 1/6/2020 at 7:18 AM, Cindy said:

I just can't get the Windows  10 pro system to see the drives on the new Windows 7/10pro system now. 

Can you post a screen shot? I have lots of experience in this area. ;) Are these shared / mapped drives? Are you on a Workgroup? Is your computer's IP Address Static or Dynamic? There is also another Windows 10 feature that needs to be turned on that isn't on by default in order to access mapped drives. Usually though, that is with servers. Anyway, post a screen shot.

One thing with buying a digital copy of Windows 10 Pro, is that it is married to the Windows that you upgraded on your computer. YOU CAN NOT TRANSFER IT TO ANOTHER COMPUTER. I've tried. The only way to do it, is within say 14-days or less it to call Microsoft and have them void the license key and refund your money. Even then it will take an hour or more of convincing the Microsoft Reps to do it, and they will need to speak with multiple managers. I speak from experience. It's a real Pain in the Ass. (I had a customer buy a laptop from Best Buy and had to do a "Anytime Upgrade" to get it to Pro so they could join their Domain. Unfortunately, the laptop crapped out in a week and they exchanged it. Found out the hard way that we couldn't just unregister the Windows 10 Pro key and put it on the replacement. It doesn't work that way.)

No worries... it was a permissions thing which I fixed although I fixed so many things that day I truly don't know what fixed the visual of the other drives.   I hate when that happens.    I wish I would have slowed down and wrote things down for next time.   

No biggie on the 179.00.    I have a legit copy, key and everything is performing wonderfully and then some.    Lets me save a bit more / longer for my over kill system :-)