Adding RAM - comp details in screen shot

MJD

So!

First, PC details in screen shot provided.

Ive deleted files off my c drive, everything that wasn't essential, dupplicate files, unwanted programs, etc. I adjusted my performance to "optimal for performance" as apposed to "optimal for visual" (still adjusting to that one, feels like 1995 up in here)  did a disc cleanup, and is weekly defragged automatically.

I know that I can add more ram to the computer - I've matched my model to the RAM I would need and see its pretty straight forward plug and play inside the box.

my question is - I have 6 GB RAM already , and read that the most I can use is 8. Will the 2 GB really make that much of a difference? What are people operating on these days as far as RAM goes? this desktop is easily 9 years old I'm surprised the ol lass even boots up!

AND,

Do I bite the bullet and trust 3 external hard drives to hold all my photos? I have them backed up on two but I just cant seem to get them off the C drive!

Screenshot (5).png

There won’t be a drastic change between 6GB and 8GB of RAM but it will certainly help things. In reality, you need a better computer and I’m thinking it’s a laptop that you are running. More than likely you have a 2GB on the motherboard or a 2GB Stick and a 4GB stick in two slots. You will replace that 2GB stick with a 4GB one that matches your existing 4GB RAM module for the best performance. Fortunately, that small amount of RAM should be less than $75. Probably even around $50 or less.  

Yes, I would max out your RAM. Even though my recommended minimum amount these days is 16GB. 

Now for the HD part. Can you trust 3 external HDs? Sure. Provided they are duplicates of each other with one located/stored off-site.

Getting things off your main HD is really a discipline or a way of thinking more than anything. Also, it really depends on how fast your port is on both the HD and computer/laptop. For example, a USB 2.0 port on a 5400RPM 2TB drive is going to be a lot slower than say a 7200RPM Drive 12TB using a Thunderbolt 3 port. It’s all relative. Heck, just using a USB 3.0 port will yield better results.

In a nutshell, it takes discipline and effort and really...having a plan in place and sticking to it. All too often people develop the habit of dumping everything on the C: Drive. Why? Habit...and it’s just “easy.” It’s what they know and stick with. The challenge today is not all C Drives are created equal. Most “Main Drives” in computes are 256GB or less, and are meant for the OS and a program or two. That’s it. No data files. 

Really, what I think needs to be done for you is to purchase a new and larger EHD, one that has a USB 3.1 port and is 7200RPM. You can use it now on your current laptop and when you get a new computer/laptop, you will get another performance boost. That’s what I did. I bought a fancy 12TB EHD that had USB 3.0 and Thunderbolt 3. I used the USB port on my old computer and when I upgraded, I used the Thunderbolt 3. Instant performance boost without having to buy anything extra.  Since TB3 is so fast, it’s like working off a main drive. I never have any main sessions on my C Drive (I have a Mac, so Macintosh HD) and work exclusivities off my EHD.

This goes against what Damien recommends, and that’s fine. I also don’t use a “$79 Special” EHD purchased from a box store and use a solid Enterprise Grade HD from a reputable brand. It’s not cheap either. 

Hopefully, I answered your question. 

Thank yes you did!

its actually a desktop but I think we bought it 9 years ago. For now I'm going to swap out the ram and triple check my files one more time and take a huge load off the computer.

What about the D drive? anything I can do with that?

16GB huh?

the good thing is at least this will hold me over while I finish up Damien's classes and once I'm generating revenue again I can upgrade and write it off. I only use it for processing my images, all the extra hoopla for the most part has been deleted.

Thank you for your help!

Today’s 16GB / 32GB is yesterday’s 4GB / 8GB. At 9 years old, yeah it’s time for a new computer. 

im going to need to see how your computer is setup. The “System” screen isn’t helping. I need a shot of your “Computer” screen with all the drives. 

yeah I was hoping to get away with not needing to do that. I am having some major calibrating issues as well so I guess it might be time to start researching. Since I've got you here and you've been quick to answer and know your stuff.. what kind of budget should I be looking at for a proper setup? can I get away with spending $400? $800?

Screenshot (20).png

I'm not adverse to doing a complete factory reset... I've done it in the past. I have another 4TB hard drive coming in the mail, my plan is to dump all the photos onto there, at least 2018 and before. Maybe some 2017 when I started shooting RAW

DO NOT PUT ANYTHING ON THAT "HP RECOVERY" DRIVE.

For you, "Drive D:" does not exist. Do not store any files on that drive and just leave it alone. That HD has the factory reset software and is meant to be left alone. Honestly, you need a new computer. In reality, trying to upgrade anything on this computer will be a temporary fix, at best. So finish Damien's classes, get some practice in and save up some money. If you live in the US, the Import Tariffs have hit the computer prices, and I'm seeing a $300-$500 increase in pricing for the same thing from a year ago. If the computer is made in China, or parts come from China, you are paying more. A realistic budget would be around $1000. More if you can swing it...like have $1500 saved up. That said, if your monitor is a good one and is in decent shape, you won't have to buy a new one, just a new display cable to go between the new computer and display. Those run about $5-$20 online if we need them. So by keeping your monitor, there is a cost savings.

The new versions of Windows 10 have been screwing around with monitor profiles. So you might have to check to see if there are any updates to your calibration software. Of course, if you have an older device, like a Spyder4 Series or even a Spyder 5 series, there may not be an update available, so budget for a new calibration tool as well. The reason is the manufacturers are starting to "Orphan" older devices and won't provide any updates going forward. It's only money, right?

What about refurbished? seeing a lot of great deals and would of course research the seller. I've had success with refurbished items before and I think its great to reuse.

my monitor only supports a VGA  cable so that'll have  to go too.

panicked a little there.. I have the spyder5pro, that'll still be fine right?

and actually its a DVI not a VGA. Still might upgrade and have dual screens.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-6200-Pro-Intel-i5-Quad-Core-16GB-RAM-2TB-Windows-10-PC-Desktop-Tower-Computer/183443124724?hash=item2ab60ff1f4:g:VvMAAOSwOGZdrcHN:sc:ShippingMethodStandard!32347!US!-1

how about something like this?

Edited by MJD
adding content

and I was browsing posts, saw one for someone who wanted to build and saw all your basic recommended specs. If I'm only using the PC for PS, Bridge and firefox that should be fine right? I really wasnt expecting to have to buy a new computer just yet and I know if I'm going to make the investment it would be best to not have to upgrade again in 2 years. At MAX I have about $500 to spend right now, I guess I know what I'm asking Santa for Christmas haha

That HP is kinda slow by today’s standards but remember speed is relative. It is better than what you have, but that computer’s motherboard is kinda slow. I fixed and installed many of these is Doctor’s Offices over the years. For less than $250, it’s worth buying. Otherwise for something new you are closer to $1000. You could put a 1TB SSD Drive in it and use the existing HD for Data. That would give you a performance boost. 

Having a DVI port is a good thing. Honestly, it’s the port you should be using since it’s digital. The VGA / D-Sub 15-pin port that has been around since 1989 is not digital, it’s analog. With a Digital Port, e.g., DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort, etc. you get better colors and contrast and a sharper picture. It’s a lot like going from VHS to DVD. That HP Computer has a DisplayPort on the back, and you will need one of these adapters to work with your monitor.

Speaking of which, a video card might also be in your future as well. Chances are it has a integrated video card that shares its memory with the RAM. So that’s going to add to the cost, plus a new power supply to support the new video card. Before you know it, the price will snowball on you and you are right back up to around $1000.

Bottom Line: That PC will hold you over for about 12-18 months. Or longer. You've lasted this long. $250 isn’t bad and is under-budget. That said, you aren’t buying a modern computer by today’s standards and that’s why it’s so cheap. Though in your case, it will be an improvement. 

okay - Lets say I have a budget of $500. I want to buy refurbished, I don't care about brand just reliability. Something that will work with my current monitor unless you think that needs replacing too.. I am waiting on prints for calibration if it gives me a super hard time I might. (HPs2031) and how long, counting after market mods, can I expect to use it? It will be solely for editing and firefox only.

could you find me two examples worth buying?

Not a fan of the Dell Optiplex line. They are low-end consumer grade models. I’m a firm believer in “Buy it Right...Buy it Once” way of thinking. That’s why I recommend the Dell XPS line. They are better than the low-end models and are affordable for most. Spec-wise they are decent for what they are. 

Even if it means you have to wait and save up for a few months. I personally hate wasting money on this sh*t. 

I would not buy either of those. You really get what you pay for. I know you have less than $500 to spend. I get it. Save up. Wait a few months. Get it right, otherwise you are gonna throw money at upgrades to increase performance. 

BTW: Anything that I recommend, I would purchase myself. I do not receive any compensation from any manufacturers or associate funded links. 

im also a stickler for buying quality and I often purchase computers with a 7+ year lifespan in mind. If I cheap out, I know I’m going to be replacing things in about 18 months. I’d rather buy it once and have it last. Otherwise you end up spending more money in the long run. 

Of course! Thank you. Perhaps I’ll look into financing, if I can swing 500 I can fork out the rest too, buy one buy right. My monitor will work with the one you suggested? 

No. Don’t finance. The interest charges are insane. Unless you do a “Six Months Same as Cash,” in which case you need to have it paid off within 5 Months. Otherwise you get slammed from interest charges from Day one. Also, stay away from Aaron’s rental or similar store. $35 a week (or whatever) sounds good in the beginning, but you will spend triple of the actual cost by going that route. You don’t need to spend $1000, but we can find you something between $600-$800. 

Black Friday / Cyber Monday is around the corner. Hold off for less than two weeks. 

Oh, you can keep your monitor. You will just need the adapter I linked to above and possible a DVI cable, unless you have one laying around. 

Yes of course I only do no interest! 

Yes Black Friday. I can wait, and I’ll see what I can do about accommodating the bill.  If you’re saying there’s no sound investment in $500 I won’t waste it. You’d be a fair honest salesman. I believe I saw your Rec for $849? Where and how much should I be looking for? I can deal hunt but a few websites would be good, I’m not familiar with online retailers like that these days lol. 

What about mouse and keyboard? Usb plugs. Not sure how much that would knock off.