Worth the upgrade?

samf09

The MacBook I currently have is the 15" 2017.  My screen went out and I am looking at if it is better to replace or get a new one. The next two are $2250 and $2600 respectively.  I do not know enough to know if these are good upgrades or not, and I would like to not go much above that price point.  It is $900 to replace the screen.  I use the computer for photo editing in photoshop mostly. 

Screen Shot 2019-11-27 at 8.42.55 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-11-27 at 8.44.21 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-11-27 at 8.45.39 AM.png

I’m just to write an article about these two new 16” MBP laptops. Yes, there is a performance difference from your current laptop, and between the two, the 2.3GHz ($2799) model is the better deal. Not only do you get double the HD capacity, you get a better video card as well. The important thing is to upgrade the RAM to 32GB in either model. I would also upgrade the Video Card to the 8GB Version. 

MBP laptops are sealed units and upgrading after the fact is damn near impossible. Unfortunately, Apple’s price on RAM is insanely expensive. The configuration that I’m recommending, with AppleCare should bring the cost to $3700 or so; I realize is an expensive pill to swallow. Apple wants you to “Go Big or Go Home” more than ever. 

if you do decide to go with the lower model, I’d still get 32GB RAM which adds $400 to the cost. 

Bottom line: The true upgrade you are looking for will cost you almost $4000. The repair will be $1000. Time is money, and if you are using this laptop to make money for a living, then this might be one of those costs of doing business and is a tax write off if you are on the books. If this is just for personal use a $1000 repair bill is better before the holidays. Basically, how much do you want to spend? $1000 or $3700 because $2300 isn’t going to make you THAT impressed. 

My configuration:

24B3EB32-498D-4EE6-9088-D9DCAA89D762.jpeg

I have absolutely no complaints about my current one as fas a speed, etc... if my screen wasn't broken I would happily keep on using it.  So with that in mind, do you still think the additional upgrades are necessary (yes I'm being cheap ?).  Or is it the type of thing with the faster processor you need to upgrade the other things too?

RAM is mandatory. It’s soldered to the main board. You can’t upgrade after the fact. Video Card, you could live with the 4GB version, but I’d still start with the $2799 MBP. 

If you want performance with a new MBP, you are spending $3700. Since you are happy with your current MBP, get the screen replaced. I’m not going to give you the answer you want to hear...and that’s you spending $2300. From my POV, that’s wasting $2300 and I’m a firm believer in “Buy it Right-Buy it Once” mentality. 

I’d fix your MBP and be done with it. Upgrade in a few years.