Utterly confused!

I think I've read myself to insanity on the topic of calibration. Maybe I'm just being thick-headed and way over-thinking the subject, but, I am confused to the point of frustration. I desperately want to have a level of confidence that my prints will match my screen perfectly, because I am in the business of offering print products. and they need to be right!

So, I have an early-2011 MBP that I do all of my editing on, and a ColorMunki Display calibrator. I've followed your instructions to a tee.. several times. But, I still feel like I'm doing something wrong. So, I want to start over. (Note: I will be purchasing an external monitor because editing on a laptop sucks ass!)

I'm planning to reset the calibration on my MBP, edit some images to my liking, and order a handful of prints (half dozen 5x7s, and 8x10s, of varying color - including b&w). I have a couple of questions.

1) I have the .icc profile from Millers (which is who I use the most). What is the purpose of the profile, and what is the best way to make use if it?

2) If I edit images on a non-calibrated monitor (my MBP), and send them to the lab for printing, and then calibrate my monitor to match the prints I get back, won't they not match again?? In other words (because I'm pretty sure I sound crazy right now..), if I edit on a non-calibrated monitor, print, calibrate to match the print, edit another image on a now calibrated monitor, and print again.. won't they still no match? I hope this makes sense.

Edited by TonySalas
spelling, context

2) When it comes down to technical basics, the files you're sending to the lab are just a bunch of ones and zeros. Simple binary data that comprises all digital files. The screen upon which you edited is completely irrelevant. All that matters is for your calibrated screen to show those ones and zeros the same as the lab printed them.

58 minutes ago, TonySalas said:

2) ...if I edit on a non-calibrated monitor, print, calibrate to match the print, edit another image on a now calibrated monitor, and print again.. won't they still no match? I hope this makes sense.

No. After you calibrate your monitor to match your prints, then all future prints will match what you see on that monitor. 

39 minutes ago, TonySalas said:

I received a 16x20 e-surface print today and it came back dark. And I'm not sure I understand why.

Have you already calibrated your monitor to match your prints? Or is this the first print you've ordered?

• Like 1

On 2/3/2016 at 9:23 PM, Samantha LaRue said:

No. After you calibrate your monitor to match your prints, then all future prints will match what you see on that monitor. 
OK. I could be causing my own confusion.. Probably just the way my brain thinks. I should just trust the process the experts so willingly provided. :) 

Have you already calibrated your monitor to match your prints? Or is this the first print you've ordered? I calibrated, and the colors are really, really, close.. the difference is almost negligible. The difference is that the print is dark. Does that mean that my display is too bright? I could never get the monitor dim enough to fall into the range recommended during calibration with my Munki.

Just now, TonySalas said:

The difference is that the print is dark. Does that mean that my display is too bright?

Yes.

I could never get the monitor dim enough to fall into the range recommended during calibration with my Munki.

That's very unusual.  Are you saying that you've got your screen at its absolute minimum brightness, and it's still brighter than the prints?

Just now, Damien Symonds said:

Yes.

That's very unusual.  Are you saying that you've got your screen at its absolute minimum brightness, and it's still brighter than the prints?

No. Just the opposite. My display is at it's brightest, and the print is coming back dark from the lab.

52 minutes ago, TonySalas said:

No. Just the opposite. My display is at it's brightest, and the print is coming back dark from the lab.

Your prints are coming back dark BECAUSE your display is at its brightest.  If you've got the brightness all the way up, you're editing thinking that you've got a super bright image (as displayed on your screen) and making the image commensurately darker.  The lab then prints the file as it *actually* is, which is much darker than what you've got on your screen.

Have you read *all* of Damien's instructions for calibration?  Including the troubleshooting steps?  You have not successfully calibrated unless and until your screen matches your prints.

• Like 2