New Computer configuration

Hello!

I have read some of the threads here...getting rid of my hp all-in-one... looked at this Dell and I thinks it meets all needs.  I could get the i9 for and extra 180.00 not sure if it is worth it?

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-desktop-computers/xps-desktop/spd/xps-8930-desktop/xdvmstcs004s?configurationid

9th Gen Intel® Core™ i7 9700 (8-Core, 12MB Cache, up to 4.7GHz with Intel® Turbo Boost Technology)

Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, English

NVIDIA® GeForce GTX® 1660Ti 6GB GDDR6

32GB DDR4 at 2666MHz; up to 64GB (Additional memory sold separately)

2TB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA HDD

Ports & Slots

$1,449.99  as stated above.

Do you think having dual drives (small ssd for booting) does not help at all?  They have options for that as well such as

256GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA HDD (Storage)
+ $100.00

or   512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA HDD (Storage)

$1,449.99  as stated above.

I have always had hp desktops since I get a small discount as retired employee, but this dell seems to offer more for the price...

I would also appreciate any help on a monitor - I can't find the thread I read a while ago on what to look for.  I looked a benq sw27000pt but not sure if it is worth it.

Thanks in advance and Happy New Year!

Sharon

Having a SSD Drive for booting does make a difference. The main issue is that the majority of the manufacturers try to sell you a 256GB Model. That is way too small in my humble opinion, for computers that are meant for photo-editing. Please, for the love that is all good-and-green, select this option:

512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA HDD (Storage)

As far as the i9 vs i7, it really doesn't matter when it comes to Photoshop. I'd actually get a fast i7, and select the AMD Radeon™ RX 570 with 4GB GDDR5 Graphics Memory for your video card option. Here is what I'd pick:

• 9th Gen Intel® Core™ i7 9700 (8-Core, 12MB Cache, up to 4.7GHz with Intel® Turbo Boost Technology
  • Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, English
  • 32GB DDR4 at 2666MHz; up to 64GB (Additional memory sold separately)
  • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA HDD (Storage)
  • AMD Radeon™ RX 570 with 4GB GDDR5 Graphics Memory

This configuration is still $1499. Oh, this doesn't include a BDRE Drive, for that you have to add it for $100 more. (Yes, get the Blu-Ray version.) Since most things are streaming / download based, it's not that much of an issue in today's world. But if you have a bunch of data DVDs laying around, it might be worth the $100 extra, otherwise you are buying an external DVD Drive.

Why the AMD instead of the NVIDIA? It goes beyond a 4GB / 6GB Video Memory Difference; AMD Video Drivers play well with current versions of PS CC. The choice of video card is just as important, perhaps even more important, than the CPU selection. NVIDIA's drivers and Photoshop seem to have more problems or at the very least, you have to un-install the preloaded drivers and install different ones to make things work better. That's too much of a hassle. I'd rather have you save money on the CPU and put those savings towards a better video card without the video driver hassle.

As far as the BENQ display, I'm not going to sugar-coat this...they are a pain in the ass to calibrate. So, I'd budget a few hundred more for a SpyderX Elite Calibration Tool in addition to your BENQ Display. Personally, I'd get this display, the Dell Ultrasharp 24 inch Infinity Edge Monitor - U2417H. It's just under $200 and the members here and in FB Ask Damien have had good luck with calibration. It's the one I would personally purchase.

Brian,  THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!    A few more questions....

. Dell Ultrasharp 24 inch Infinity Edge Monitor - U2417H. I can't seem to find how well it displays rgb colors/%...???  Do you have any input ?I do plan on printing my work .. I have an epson r1900 and a canon pixma, so would like it to display rgb in those cases....

. This Monitor comes with a Power cable (varies by country), USB 3.0 upstream cable (enables the USB ports on the monitor), and a DP cable (DP to mDP).  is this all I'll need .. the dp is the display port cable?

.  does it matter that the resolution is only 1920 x 1080 pixels ? I will not be doing gaming or watching movies on this monitor....so, 4k is not necessary for photo editing?

.  I currently have a sypder 4 pro for calibration ... should be good enough if I go with the Dell monitor?

. any other monitors you might recommend instead of the benq  or dell?  I don't want to spend a lot, but the purpose of not getting another all-in-one is so I can keep a  good monitor quite a while and just upgrade the workstation when needed.  I am not sold on the benq either.  I'm a little leary of mixing a different brand monitor with the dell workstation....does this cause issues?

.  does it matter that the resolution is only 1920 x 1080 pixels ? I will not be doing gaming or watching movies on this monitor....so, 4k is not necessary for photo editing, right?

Thanks for all your expertise!  I have spent hours researching your threads and others, and am feeling confident that I am making some good choices now!

Sharon

oops, what about this one? it's 209.00.

Key Features
  • 23.8" In-Plane Switching (IPS) Panel
  • DisplayPort 1.4 | HDMI 1.4
  • 1920 x 1080 @ 60 Hz Resolution
  • 250 cd/m² Brightness
Experience an immersive viewing experience that covers for 99% of the sRGB and Rec. 709 color gamuts, as well 85% of the DCI-P3 color gamut in a thin design with the U2419H UltraSharp 24" 16:9 IPS Monitor from Dell. This display features a native resolution of 1920 x 1080 with a 60 Hz refresh rate, In-Plane Switching (IPS) technology, support for 16.7 million colors, an average calibration accuracy of Delta E < 2, a 16:9 aspect ratio, an anti-glare coating with a 3H hardness rating, a static contrast ratio of 1000:1, a typical brightness level of 250 cd/m2, an 8 ms response time in normal mode, and a 5 ms response time in fast mode. Using the 178° horizontal and vertical viewing angles, it is possible to watch content from virtually any position.
  • Like 1

thanks, did you see this post?

Brian,  THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!    A few more questions....

. Dell Ultrasharp 24 inch Infinity Edge Monitor - U2417H. I can't seem to find how well it displays rgb colors/%...???  Do you have any input ?I do plan on printing my work .. I have an epson r1900 and a canon pixma, so would like it to display rgb in those cases....

. This Monitor comes with a Power cable (varies by country), USB 3.0 upstream cable (enables the USB ports on the monitor), and a DP cable (DP to mDP).  is this all I'll need .. the dp is the display port cable?

.  does it matter that the resolution is only 1920 x 1080 pixels ? I will not be doing gaming or watching movies on this monitor....so, 4k is not necessary for photo editing?

.  I currently have a sypder 4 pro for calibration ... should be good enough if I go with the Dell monitor?

. any other monitors you might recommend instead of the benq  or dell?  I don't want to spend a lot, but the purpose of not getting another all-in-one is so I can keep a  good monitor quite a while and just upgrade the workstation when needed.  I am not sold on the benq either.  I'm a little leary of mixing a different brand monitor with the dell workstation....does this cause issues?

.  does it matter that the resolution is only 1920 x 1080 pixels ? I will not be doing gaming or watching movies on this monitor....so, 4k is not necessary for photo editing, right?

Thanks for all your expertise!  I have spent hours researching your threads and others, and am feeling confident that I am making some good choices now!

Sharon

On 12/29/2019 at 8:34 PM, srnhramer said:

is this all I'll need .. the dp is the display port cable?

Yes. You will "Need" a power cable and a DisplayPort Cable, provided that the back of your new computer has a DisplayPort. (It probably does.) If not, a HDMI cable will also work. Again, it just depends on the ports that you will be dealing with.

The new standard going forward is really DisplayPort, or DP. It's royalty free, supports lots of different formats via adapter, i.e. DP to HDMI, DP to DVI-D, etc. There is even a DP to VGA adapter cable!! Most Dell Displays come with some sort of cable(s) in the box, so I wouldn't go out buying anything just yet. The thing with Dell Displays, is that they aren't Dell Displays.

"Huh?"

There are only like 5-7 display panel manufacturers in the world. Well, I could be exaggerating but I think you get what I mean. LG, Sony, Samsung are the three top ones that come to my mind. Dell Displays are rebranded screens. Sure, they have their logos and menu-structure all over them, but the display panel itself is made by someone else. Damien and I have recommended Dell Displays over the years with very good and consistent results. They are affordable, readily available world-wide and most importantly, tend to be easy to calibrate. I'm buying a Dell for my next PC Monitor. So there's your answer.

4k is not necessary for photo editing?

Not really. It's more of a gimmick than anything. Hell, 4K content isn't mainstream yet for Cable TV! It just gives people the illusion of FOMO, and something to buy. Just as we are now getting used to thinking that we NEED 4K...8K is already out, followed by 16K. Then 32, then 64. It's like having to buy the Beatles "White Album" for the 100th time due to a new format. As far as photo-editing goes, 1920 x 1080 with a 16:9 or even 16:10 Aspect Ratio is FINE. Now, if you were editing 4K video for YouTube or for feature films for clients, that's a different story. For Photographic stills, using PS...not-so-much. Damien uses a 1920x1080 (19"??) screen and Photoshop CS5, and I think he edits just fine. ;)

I currently have a sypder 4 pro for calibration ... should be good enough if I go with the Dell monitor?

Good enough? Nope.

In fact, you will need to budget for an even more expensive calibration device, such as the X-Rite i1Studio Spectrophotometer. You need a calibration tool that calibrates not only your monitor, but your home printers (to your display) as well, since you want to print stuff at home. You will need to create multiple display monitor profiles, (ICC Profiles,) one for the the Canon Printer and on for the Epson Printer. Even by today's standards, a Spyder 4 Series is a bit long-in-the-tooth technology-wise. If you had a Sypder5 series, I'd suggest trying it, but Spyder4...that's pushing it. You can try it, but I think you will have mixed results. Since you are printing at home, you could head for the Adobe RGB route, but keep in mind JPEG and anything you export to the web will be sRGB. Believe it or not, sRGB is a lot bigger than people give it credit. It boils down to the Measurebators, the guys that say that X is better than Y because of ______________. These are the same people that get into flame-wars online trying to convice everyone they are right because ______________ is better than ____________ due to bigger/better/faster/more reasons. These same people will tell you that 60MP is where it's at and a 16MP Camera is worthless. Or this new fancy mirrorless camera is the future and your DSLR is dead. Or the ones that say you NEED to use Adobe RGB for home printing, Blah-Blah-Blah.

Now I would be lying and telling you to not use Adobe RGB since you are printing for yourself at home. Of course, a larger color-space in that type of scenario has its benefits and is the recommended colorspace for those who print at home. It's just the practicality of things. I'm a firm believer in the KISS Principle. That said, I'm going to page @Damien Symonds for his input on this topic. Thoughts Damien? Gamut and RGB Percentages and all that for someone who is going to print at home? Not to mention the type of paper being used by the printer causing issues?

Thank you for all the in-depth information Brian!  I will budget for a better calibrator for printing at home (I only print landscape type images and have had good luck with my current not so great monitor so I'll give  it a try first)...  I think I did see that this dell monitor was made by samsung!  I'll see what Damien has to say about the rgb not being stated for this monitor.

Sharon

Thanks -- I decided to go with your recommendations and the u2419h monitor... added a blue ray device and speakers.  fyi and others, I was able to save 10% additional since my husband is a veteran... I also think if you sign up for their emails you can maybe save 10%  (can't be combined though)...!

Sharon

• Like 1

Hi Brian...

I just wanted to say a HUGE thank you for all your help!!  I am loving my new computer and monitor!  Soooo speedy and calibration was a breeze - it's matching the output from my printer perfectly!   I am only keeping program files on the C  SSD drive.  I set up everything else to go to the D drive.  So far no problems with Windows 10 either!

If anyone else orders the same system, a few notes:

.just be aware it doesn't come with speakers, but I was able to just set it up to use a bluetooth speaker I had.

.Also, the cheap keyboard/mouse that is included is wired (ugh), so I ordered a nice logitech one - I figured I'd try it out, but eckkkk

. Also you will need a usb device of 32 gb (16 is too small) to make a recovery drive

. The bottom buttons for the OSD (screen adjustments) are a real pain to press and use!

HUGE thank you to Damien as well - used your notes to calibrate -- big help!

Sharon

• Like 1