Mac problem

I was told to ask here. 

I have a late 2015 21.5” iMac. A few years ago when they upgraded to Mojave it completely crashed my HD. Apple did recover most of it and advised I had a “one in a million” problem computer. I stupidly updated to Catalina since then I’ve talked with Apple support countless times, talked with their engineers and nobody can really figure out the ‘problem’. I’m not sure if it’s a Mac problem or a photoshop problem or a combination of both. So here’s what’s going on now. My Mac randomly shuts off and restarts on its own, screen changes colors and freezes (then causes it to shut off on its own again) disconnects all Bluetooth items (mouse, keyboard, wacom) and I have to manually go in delete it and try to get it to reconnect etc. so far this problem only occurs while I’m in photoshop (PSCC 2020) everything is utd (wacom, ps, os) 

I’ve ran the malware (Apple told me to install and run) and everything comes back good. They had me check CPUs, those also came back good. They have advised me to bring it in but the closest store is roughly 2hrs from me. (And it’s not under warranty anymore) 

So my question would be has this happen frequently, if not is there anything else I can do to fix it etc. 

Picture of screen when it changes colors, occasionally lines will go through the screen as well.

D691C185-0E99-4D8A-8268-0E31E3801804.jpeg

Hello Rebecca! I'm so glad you posted here as I just saw your post on FB Ask Damien.

*SIGH*

I'm going to address each question one-by-one. This isn't good...

41 minutes ago, RebeccaDillahay said:

My Mac randomly shuts off and restarts on its own,

This indicates a problem with the power supply or a certain component's power randomly being interrupted, specifically the 5 volts that comes from the power supply. It could also be a motherboard problem as well. When you press a reset button on a computer, the +5 Volts is interrupted, which freaks the computer out and it resets. It could also have a bad ground somewhere.

screen changes colors and freezes (then causes it to shut off on its own again) disconnects all Bluetooth items (mouse, keyboard, wacom) and I have to manually go in delete it and try to get it to reconnect etc.

Still indicates a problem with the motherboard, or some sort of controller chip isn't getting enough power or something is happening on the power rail to the component / capacitor. (Component level repair on a motherboard, etc.) Bad video card is also on the table.

this problem only occurs while I’m in photoshop (PSCC 2020)

Photoshop CC 2020 does not seem to play well with the 2015-era iMac's Video Card. Older versions, like PS 2019 seem to work better, and this information I got from other members in your situation (owing 2015 iMacs.) Realistically PS 2017 is the best choice for your 2015-era computer. Unfortunately, you are on Catalina and only PS CC 2019 and PS CC 2020 are Catalina Compatible.

How do you go back to Mojave? Format the HD and install from a Mojave Thumbdrive. There is absolutely no-way to downgrade and it's a complete wipe / re-install. 

So my question would be has this happen frequently, if not is there anything else I can do to fix it etc. 

Unfortunately, you as the consumer / owner, there is nothing you can do. I'm so sorry. This isn't a software patch or turn off a setting kind-of-fix. I think you just got a bad Mac (aka Lemon) to begin with. Mojave crashing your HD...that could be the culprit, though I can not officially say. During the update, sometimes Apple updates your computer's firmware in addition to the OS being updated. Other components, like the video card's Firmware could also be updated at this time. It is plausible that upgrading to Mojave irritated an existing issue and not only do you have a motherboard / power-supply physical problem, but a possible corrupted firmware somewhere in your computer. As to why this only happens in PS, it is possible that this affected area is ONLY accessed when PS CC 2020 is in use. Using your Mac for general computing doesn't trigger the problem; watching Netflix, wasting time on FB, checking e-mail...your computer will work "fine."

And it’s not under warranty anymore

Kinda figured. I would not bother trying to fix this, as it's a 21.5" iMac. You are looking at least $800-$1000 repair bill between parts & labor. In my humble opinion, 21.5" iMac models are a complete waste of money as they usually have slower and less powerful components installed as compared to their 27" counterparts. This is coming from a Mac owner who loves his Mac and iPhone. The 21.5" models used to not be this way, and I even owned a 21.5" 2009 iMac. With the models today, Apple really wants you to "Go Big or Go Home." As to what Mac do I recommend, especially for Photo-Editing work, please give this article a read.

Thank you SO much for your time. I kinda figured it was something bad lol. I have been planning on making the switch to a asus gaming system (husband has it and never has a problem) but you are correct with normal use (email, Facebook, etc) works completely fine. As for power should I have it plugged straight to a outlet? It’s connected to a power strip? (Sorry if that’s a no no lol) prior to the Mojave update there were no issues at all and since it’s just been spiraling ? so at this point I’m definitely going to be looking at a new system. 

• Like 1

Power strips do wear out over time, so keep that in mind. They won’t let you know when they wear out, they just turn into glorified extension cords on their own. Fun Times!!

At the very least you should have one and not hook the Mac directly into the wall, but if the power strip is from the 1980’s, compete with Faux-Wood Panel stickers on the side and it’s yellow instead of white, due to age...you probably should avoid using it on your brand new computer. It boggles my mind! I have PERSONALLY seen a person buy a $2000+ brand new fancy computer and not spend the extra $20-$30 on a new surge protector to go with it, because they don’t want to “waste money” since they already have one. SMDH. Waste $2000 and cheap out on the $30 power strip  LOL!

Personally, I use something called a UPS, which is a surge protector on steroids and has a battery built in. A UPS allows for a graceful shutdown which if you suddenly lose power. 

Please do not misunderstand me, people automatically thinK, “...must have gotten a surge and that’s what broke my computer!” Not in every case. Now, if you have lots and lots of brownouts / spikes over the years, then I can say yeah, it’s possible. In reality, I think you just got a “Lemon.” 

The Asus Republic of Gamers line is usually decent. For that question, post a new thread in the Windows Hardware Forum. 

• Thanks 1