So I'm not sure if this is a print issue or a post-production issue, but I've just recently started having some issues with prints from my lab. 

I have no idea what the right word is for this problem, but my prints are coming back with any highlight/light areas quite blown out. It's also highlighting any imperfections (which are barely noticeable on screen - I think it's called artefacts but not sure) on solid colour backgrounds (blankets etc).

I've attached an example. First a phone screen shot of the print itself, along with the edited jpeg that I sent off to my lab. 

Is this something I am doing wrong? If I zoom into the image I can see the problem, but the prints seem to come back amplifying it. The feedback from the lab was the make sure any levels work is done first to avoid this type of issue. 

Thanks for your help.

IMG_5098 _ Jimmy.jpg

Jimmy16_8x10.jpg

Your file isn't quite truly neutral.  As you run your mouse around it in Photoshop, and watch the R, G and B numbers in the Info Panel, you'll see they're not always equal.  That's BAD.

However, even though it might partially contribute to a problem like this, it shouldn't make it this bad.

Have you had good black-and-white prints from this lab in the past?  If so, do you still have any of them in your possession?

Thank so much. 

Yes I have a few of my own images that I've had printed in b/w from the same lab. I've got one in front of me and cannot notice this affect. Here is the jpeg of the printed image I'm looking at. 

Is there any way to avoid this sort of thing? 

1I5A0354.jpg

Interesting ... that one isn't true black-and-white either.

That's very poor practice on your part, but in this case, it might be good news, because it should rule that out as a cause of this particular problem.

I think this is a lab cock-up.

Ok thanks.

Looks like I need to revisit my b/w editing process then! 

What is the usually culprit for not having a true b/w? Any advice is appreciated as I'd like to get this right going forward. My workflow is edit in colour first and then I issue the clients a colour and a b/w copy of each image.

Edited by kristyjauncey

I use your "damiens bw method" action that I downloaded ages ago and then play around with levels usually to get the look I'm after.

On a side-note I'm going to re-visit all the RAW class info again too, as I feel I could improve on my raw processing. 

8 minutes ago, kristyjauncey said:

I use your "damiens bw method" action that I downloaded ages ago and then play around with levels usually to get the look I'm after.

Ok, so take a close look at all the layers after the BW conversion.  One of them is adding a very slight tint.

9 minutes ago, kristyjauncey said:

On a side-note I'm going to re-visit all the RAW class info again too, as I feel I could improve on my raw processing. 

You'll be blown away.  The new content is so much better than ever.