Can't adjust laptop brightness

Did you run CMD.exe as an Administrator? You MUST right click on CMD and Run as Administrator, or else it won't work. Error 87 is most caused by not opening an Elevated Command Prompt.

Screen Shot 2020-03-24 at 1.11.03 AM.png

There are few things we could do, but honestly, it's way more involved. You might want to try and see if the manufacturer has a driver download available and all we have to do is re-install the video drivers. The other more involved way is to download a new version of Windows, create a .iso file and then tell Windows to use contents of that file to help fix Windows. Unfortunately, it isn't bullet-proof and doesn't always work. We might have to boot your laptop in Safe Mode and do a restore (keeping your files and data.) If that doesn't work, it might need a complete wipe and restore.

Unfortunately, that is really beyond the scope of this Forum. I could log-in and do these things, but it would require a fast Internet Connection, and I wouldn't be doing it for free. I charge a flat $150 to do service work over the Internet, whether it works or not. With this Corona-19 going around, your local computer shop might be closed, but I'd try calling around. You might get lucky.

Oh, stupid video driver problems like the one you are having are common with Windows 10. Often as the result from a Windows Update screwing things up.  I've run into this type of thing more than once, and I'm sorry to say, there is no "one" fix; basically...you dork around with it until it works. Sometimes I'm at it for 3 hours or more because Windows is just being stupid and stubborn.

Alright, so that was successful, but the problem still remains. Bummer. Unfortunately, this problem is a Pain in the Ass to solve. There is no one particular method that fixes it. Try downloading a fresh set of drivers from the manufacturer and see if that works.