Can't adjust laptop brightness

I'm unable to adjust laptop brightness. I think I have a driver problem, but I'm scared to use any of the googled tutorials that I've found. The keyboard shortcuts don't work, and I can't locate the "display adapter" option that I'm instructed to go to. 

I have a PC laptop running Windows 10 and Photoshop cc. It is under 6 months old, and has 16.0GB of RAM. Its hard drive has 821GB free out of 931GB. The last time I shut down was earlier today. I run a cleanup program about once a week.

3 hours ago, JoJo momo said:

I can't locate the "display adapter" option that I'm instructed to go to.

I'm not sure what instructions you've seen, but the way I do it is hold down the Windows key and hit the S key, which brings up my search bar, then I type "device manager".  When I launch Device Manager I see the Display Adaptor as one of the options.

temp.png

Yeah, your video driver is really screwed up. Can you right click on the very top item in the device manager list, where it says laptop-blah blah blah and do a “Scan for new devices.” We will start there. Also, have you rebooted? What is the status of Windows Updates? Have you done a Windows Update recently? 

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, JoJo momo said:

Windows updates are all up to date.

Windows Update LIES. Unless you click on "Check for Updates" and it comes back with saying "You are up to date..." (or something similar) do not trust it.

So after checking for Windows updates, I want you to click on the Start Button and just start typing the letters CMD. Command Prompt should appear in the Start Menu at the top and I want you to RIGHT-CLICK IT AND SELECT "RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR."

When the Command Box pops up, type the following:

sfc /scannow

Let Windows do its "System File Check." This will take awhile. Hopefully it will fix things, if not I have a few more commands to run.

• Like 1

Sorry, I can't read that screen shot. Can you use the Snip-It tool so I can get a closer look at what it says? Have you rebooted since running SFC?

OK, it's what I suspected. You Windows is botched up. It seems to have repaired some files, no telling which ones.

What we are going to need to do is open up another Command Prompt box with it in an "elevated" status, which you right click and "Run as Administrator." This is very important as the following commands won't work unless you run CMD.exe as an Administrator, even though you might be logged in as one. Once you get the elevated command prompt box open, type the following:

• DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth {press enter & let it do its thing.)
    • Hopefully it will come back with saying there is a problem and it can repair it. Then type the next command:
  • DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth {press enter & let it do its thing.)

This will take awhile, so be sure to have your laptop plugged in.

After the DISM commands complete, reboot your laptop. Then run the SFC /Scannow command again. You might have to run this multiple times for it to get everything.