Damien Symonds

Raw 1.01

Jump to next slide >>

MODULE 1: INTRODUCTION TO RAW

Welcome to Raw processing

The small act of switching your camera from Jpeg to Raw is a big deal. It opens up a new world of control over your images, but can seem daunting at first.

In this module I will introduce you to Raw files, examine their benefits, and discuss how they fit into your workflow.

Many of you have already made the switch to Raw, either recently or long ago. But I hope you will take the time to read through this module all the same - it isn’t very long, and there are many important reminders for you.

Information overload!

There is a lot of information in this class, so take your time reading each slide. No doubt you’ll need to read some modules more than once to absorb it all. And I urge you to read the whole course regularly during your year of membership. You’ll be surprised at how many new things you pick up each time.

Correct viewing

It goes without saying that the class is best viewed in a colour-managed web browser.  So if you're browsing in Internet Explorer or Chrome, stop now and switch to Firefox or Safari.

If you're reading the class on your mobile device right now, well, I'm sure you understand that the colours you're seeing are wrong.  It doesn't matter too much for these first few modules, but please try to switch to your calibrated computer for Module 5 onwards.

Next: Asking questions >>

• Like 5

DeidreT   

I wasn't sure where I should ask this question, so feel free to move if there is a more appropriate place. I shot a silhouette and I am wondering how to RAW process it? To get that really dark silhouette with little detail, is it ok to move the blacks down in RAW or should I leave some detail and make it darker in Photoshop with levels?

2 hours ago, DeidreT said:

I wasn't sure where I should ask this question, so feel free to move if there is a more appropriate place. I shot a silhouette and I am wondering how to RAW process it? To get that really dark silhouette with little detail, is it ok to move the blacks down in RAW or should I leave some detail and make it darker in Photoshop with levels?

Funny, I'm just having this conversation with somebody else too.

It's fine to be aggressive with the Blacks in raw, as long as you don't risk losing any detail you might want back later.

• Like 1