Should I upgrade

I purchased a Dell XPS L702X approx 5 years ago, it's a good to me up until lately.  Now it is running low, freezing all the time and randomly turns off if it is not plugged in if I am running to many things (even with a full battery) 
It has been serviced 2x's in the last 5 months 

Specs 
Intel(R) Core (TM) i7-2630QM CPU @2.00GHz

Memory - 8.00 Gb

Grahics - Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000 

Gaming graphics - 1696 MB 

1Tb - 700 on each C and D

System type- 64-bit operating

4 processor cores

I'm at a loss as to if I should upgrade or if I should try a different place to service it. 

Thanks so much for any advice 

You answered your own question. Thank you for taking the time to read and poke around. :)

Personally, I have NEVER experienced a 3rd party replacement battery working in a laptop. It seems that the only ones that work the best and longest, are the OEM batteries, and they are expensive. Combine that with the fact of they are impossible to find after 3-6 months after you purchase the laptop. 

5 Years for a laptop is a good run. My usual thinking is around 36-40 months, on the average/across-the-board, before a laptop starts locking up or running "slow."

What needs to be done at the moment is to get your data backed up onto a EHD. Not just photos and documents, but things like favorites and e-mail. Organized chaos. ;) 

I have NAS that I have everything backed up to (minus the emails, never thought about backing those up) 

I have been looking at 3 systems, the difference between 2 seem to just be the screen size and the 3rd looks like it has 2 additional slots to upgrade the ram in the future.   The one I am looking at as 16GB now with the possiblitly to upgrade to up to 64GB.  Is it worth the additional $500 to have the option to upgrade or should I skip it?  My concern is that once I get to the spot that I want to upgrade to that size, I will want to upgrade the entire machine for other additional features as well. 

Thanks 
Barb :) 

Links?

Also, you want a IPS based screen. Most laptops do not have them. 

In addition to e-mail, don't forget about PS Actions and Brushes. 

I'd get the 3rd one in that list. The one with the two extra slots. That laptop goes up to 64GB, so it's a tad more "future proof." 

Entry Level Cameras are starting at 24MP these days. So that will require more horsepower going forward. Having the ability to upgrade to 64GB is a good thing. Even though it's not needed now, in 3-5 years, who knows? 

• Like 1

It's the model line that I recommend. I believe Damien has a Asus ROG, and a buddy of mine (in real life) has one, has a GORGEOUS display. 

I would have no problems buying that laptop and would purchase it myself.