What the ideal size of picture to give to client?

Hi , what's the ideal size of picture usually give to client ?
I always set my resolution to 300 pixels/inches . I am thinking to give my client either 8x12 or 8x10 but I know there will be difficulties in each size from above . It'll be quite more hard work to set up all digital images to 8x10 without crop the picture . If I give 8x12 , i am also thinking what if client wants to print it to 8x10 and they might crop the picture when they print it .
Do you think give 4x6 ideal for client ? but I feel bad for client if they want to print bigger than 4x6 , they won't capable to do it and have to contact me for doing it . So I am pretty confuse to choose between those 3 sizes above , which the ideal and common to give .
Any help , suggestion and input will greatly appreciate , thank you !

Thank you.
I read your article on the link above and I tried it,but it didn't work :( I tried it using my photoshop cc.
I attached picture and can you please tell me what I did wrong base on the picture below.And do you have any video tutorial to do the crop 11x15?
Thanks

13442296_277330069287338_7097616316960858643_n.jpg

1 hour ago, Lina Albis said:

Ok I did the crop tool as well.Let me show you the picture.
Is it right?

13432270_982269585223734_8251929616579350235_n.jpg

I believe you need to use the "ratio" option here. I think the WxHxResolution option you selected is what caused the width to be slightly less than 11.

17 hours ago, Christina Keddie said:

There's no need to change it.  It's an infinitesimal difference and has no bearing on your file -- and you really should get out of the habit of using the Image Size dialog box to make any changes to your file sizes. ;)

Ok thank you :)
So basically to change the sizes I have to using the crop tool box,instead the image size dialog box?even if I only want to change the resolution,for example from 72 to 300?

Why are you changing the resolution?  Note that the resolution number means DIDDLY SQUAT unless and until you're defining the width and height parameters in terms of inches -- PPI stands for "pixels per inch," and there ARE no "inches" until you define them as such.  So the default resolution number of 72 means exactly nothing.

If you need something to be in 300ppi, that generally means you're prepping something for print -- i.e., doing something where "inches" actually means something.  And it's also likely that you're going to need to change the SHAPE of the file as well as the size -- your files are in the 2:3 aspect ratio coming out of your camera, which is the same shape as a 4x6 or 8x12 or any other multiple of 2:3, but is a different shape from, say, an 8x10 or an 11x14 or a 30x40.  If you need to change the shape as well as the size, the Image Size dialog box won't work for you.  You need the crop tool to do that.

And since you're often going to need to change both the shape and the size, you may as well always use the crop tool.  This way, too, you are always aware of both the shape and the size of your output file.

1 hour ago, Christina Keddie said:

Why are you changing the resolution?  Note that the resolution number means DIDDLY SQUAT unless and until you're defining the width and height parameters in terms of inches -- PPI stands for "pixels per inch," and there ARE no "inches" until you define them as such.  So the default resolution number of 72 means exactly nothing.

If you need something to be in 300ppi, that generally means you're prepping something for print -- i.e., doing something where "inches" actually means something.  And it's also likely that you're going to need to change the SHAPE of the file as well as the size -- your files are in the 2:3 aspect ratio coming out of your camera, which is the same shape as a 4x6 or 8x12 or any other multiple of 2:3, but is a different shape from, say, an 8x10 or an 11x14 or a 30x40.  If you need to change the shape as well as the size, the Image Size dialog box won't work for you.  You need the crop tool to do that.

And since you're often going to need to change both the shape and the size, you may as well always use the crop tool.  This way, too, you are always aware of both the shape and the size of your output file.

Thank you so much for the explanation.I found out today that actually I don't need to worry about my dpi or resolution.
I changed it into 300,just because I wanted to get better picture when it print,that was my thought all this time and I didn't know that was wrong.
So how to get 300 ppi for print?Is it by using the crop tool,let say I click the WxHXResolution box and I put 8x10 and I put resolution 300.Can I do that and put my resolution 300 in that crop tool box?

Just now, Lina Albis said:

Thank you so much for the explanation.I found out today that actually I don't need to worry about my dpi or resolution.
I changed it into 300,just because I wanted to get better picture when it print,that was my thought all this time and I didn't know that was wrong.
So how to get 300 ppi for print?Is it by using the crop tool,let say I click the WxHXResolution box and I put 8x10 and I put resolution 300.Can I do that and put my resolution 300 in that crop tool box?

Don't just do 300ppi because you think that's a good number. :)  What resolution does your print lab require?  Use that number when prepping files to send to print at that lab.

And yes, you would use the crop tool, set to WxHxResolution, and you would put in the width, height, and resolution you need for that specific output file.

More reading on output files, and how you need to create one for each specific output use (specific sized prints, specific sized web displays, etc.): http://www.damiensymonds.net/2010/02/trash-those-jpegs.html

• Like 1

Hi ,
I want to crop my image into 11x15 or 15x11 for print . Should I use the Ratio or WxHXResolution on the crop tool ? I tried both and when I checked on the image size tool box , the result from both ended up different . Which one do I need to use or are those both ways don't matter or just the same ?
Here are the pictures of the crop tool when I did it .

Thanks

15000741_1107279159389442_3458511434451595615_o.jpg

15002370_1107279162722775_7539895052293417269_o.jpg

15025218_1107279216056103_7818574218449880681_o.jpg

15025220_1107279212722770_5903853420917024808_o.jpg