new windows based desktop

HI Brian,

my desktop is really struggling to function with the new bridge and PS updates. it was bad before but now its unbearable. Ive had this current one for a long time so its time to update my RAM is only 4GB. ive read your articles to better understand minimum requirements etc and know that im not even meeting todays minimum requirements with what i have.

I use a canon 6D, shooting in RAW. running Windows 10 pro already.

i dont need a monitor i already have Dell IPS monitor

My current graphics card is GeForce GTX 750, NVIDIA,

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU    Q6600  @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s)

Budget can be upto $1500, from what ive been reading ive decided to upgrade at the worst time possible! but i cant keep sitting here waiting 10 mins for 1 photo to save in bridge and open in PS and have bridge shut down on me 5 times before ive even completed my RAW edits and move onto PS. im too frustrated and time poor to deal with that any longer.

I dont mind if you stick to the "preferred" list of options over the "minimum" if my budget blows out id still prefer to have the better graphics card.

i also like the idea of 2 internal hard drives, i have this set up now and it works well as 1 is purely for photos, and the C drive for programs and to back up final photo edits.

Id love if you could possibly supply a shopping list for me to give me a starting point to look at pricing. while i understand camera and lens specs , PC specs is somewhat a daunting thing to me.

appreciate your advice! and thank you in advance.

13 hours ago, Renski00 said:

my RAM is only 4GB

THERE'S YOUR PROBLEM. Well, that and your CPU is very under-powered by today's standards. Yeah, it's time for a new computer.

Well, good news and bad news...I was able to configure a system for you. Bad news is, that it's not 100% of what I recommend, but it should get you closer to a "Normal Experience" these days. Keep in mind, speed is relative. Your computer sounds like it's been struggling for awhile, so any improvements in terms of speed will be a bonus, because you don't know any better. It's just too bad that $1500 this year doesn't go as far as it did just 12 months ago, before COVID19. You really need to save up just a bit more and be closer to $2000. But I get it, I realize that this isn't always possible. So without further ado...

Dell XPS Special Edition Tower -- $1579

Screen Shot 2020-07-26 at 2.06.52 PM.png

Make sure you upgrade the Main HD to a 1TB m.2 SSD Drive!! A 256GB Main Drive is MICROSCOPIC BY TODAY'S STANDARDS AND SHOULD BE AVOIDED LIKE THE PLAGUE!!!

1523333691_ScreenShot2020-07-26at2_13_58PM.thumb.png.88ea4c8ee8781d713afc35d59a7bf9bd.png

This is really a short-term solution. When I recommend / configure things for the members here, I have a 7-8 year lifespan in mind. Anything less will require replacement sooner rather than later. So that configuration should get you about 3 years at most before it becomes "Too Slow" again.

hahahaha oh i know! its been killing us for so long the speed of this thing.................

Thanks so much Brian. Really appreciate the input, agree with the 1TB  i wouldn't even consider anything else than this.

Bonus for me my bday is in 2 weeks and mum said she would add some extra $$$ for me to be able to get it, so i can go upto 2k if its something that i will easily get 7-8 years out of as i dont mind investing more upfront now and make it last longer than the 3 years. SInce im doing photography for work now too i should be able to gain some tax benefit on it too so every little  bit will help.

With extra cash to spend what would you change the graphics card? or increase to the i7 which you mention in your articles?

can you get extra HDMI added to these aswell?

Well, that's good news. Honestly, if you can stretch your budget to around $2000, this is how I would configure the Dell XPS System I linked to:

Screen Shot 2020-07-27 at 6.54.22 PM.png

• 10th Gen Intel® Core™ i7-10700K processor(8-Core, 16M Cache, 3.8GHz to 5.1GHz)
  • 16GB, 1x16GB, DDR4, 2933MHz
  • Dell Multimedia Keyboard-KB216 White (English)
  • 1TB M.2 PCIe SSD + 1TB SATA 7200 RPM HDD
  • Dell Wireless Card W1810/QCA9377 (1x1 AC,BT 4.1)
  • NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 2070 SUPER™ 8GB GDDR6
  • Wired Mouse Sapphire White MS116

I would put extra money towards a better video card and a i7 CPU. You really don't want a i5 these days if you are looking to keep your computer for around 7 years or so. As far as HDMI, honestly, I'd get a computer that has two Display Ports, and then get a DisplayPort to HDMI cable, or even an adapter. DisplayPort is the future and there is all sorts of adapters you can get for it, there is even a DisplayPort to VGA (which I do not recommend getting, just pointing it out.) The GeForce RTX 2020 Super 8GB GDDR6 option has three DisplayPorts on the back, perfect for a multiple monitor setup.

Then all you would have to do is upgrade the RAM. Get a 32GB kit (two 16GB sticks) from Crucial.com and increase the RAM from 16GB to 40GB. Of course, if you are looking to save a little cash, get a 16GB kit and increase the RAM to 32GB.