Best Pre Press Workflow

Yes, and there are other images which are quite bright in the PDF that appear 'smoked over' in the printed book.  I made the terrible mistake of not requesting a printed proof in advance.  After the print shop said the PDF was great, and sent me an eProof PDF, which was the same, I presumed they would print it that way and signed off on it.  So, I don't see that I have any comeback.

I'm working with another print company now and they're delivering me a whole set of printed proofs today.  I'll let you know what they look like!

Thanks again.  Quite stressful really, the whole thing, so great to get a supportive opinion!

Well, I got the digital proof prints and they look great!  Not a dark image in sight.  What a relief!  I'll ask this new print company what their workflow was for printing my PDF, and I'll set up a solid, as-reliable-as-possible workflow with them for future work.

I'll get a tech analysis for the bad and good prints and let you know.

I informed the 'bad print' company that I had gotten my book digitally print-proofed by another company and it turned out beautiful and bright. The 'bad print' company, after a day or two, responded to say that they digitally print-proofed my book and indeed it turned out brighter, but litho printing and digital printing are completely different, so their litho printing of my PDF file faithfully reproduced the data on the file.

The 'good print' company said there would be very little difference between their digital and litho prints. They are sending me cromalins to proof their eventual litho print. (Can't wait to see them!)

If the original 'bad print' company had sent me digital prints to proof the litho print, I would have signed off on them, but they would in no way represent the eventual litho print.

I only re-contacted the 'bad print' company to inform them there might be something amiss in their workflow, or, if not, to tell me where I went wrong with my file, or how I could have a good workflow with them, but I'm not really getting anywhere technically with them. Maybe they have 'old' machinery??

Printing seems to be a bit of a 'mysterious' business! ?

1 hour ago, Seamus said:

I informed the 'bad print' company that I had gotten my book digitally print-proofed by another company and it turned out beautiful and bright. The 'bad print' company, after a day or two, responded to say that they digitally print-proofed my book and indeed it turned out brighter, but litho printing and digital printing are completely different, so their litho printing of my PDF file faithfully reproduced the data on the file.

Which means they told you the wrong profile to use, as we suspected; and aren't willing to admit it.

You're fortunate to be rid of that company.  Glad you found a good one.

On 9/21/2020 at 8:24 PM, Seamus said:

The 'good print' company said there would be very little difference between their digital and litho prints. They are sending me cromalins to proof their eventual litho print. (Can't wait to see them!)

I got the GMG Proofs (cromalins) in the post this morning. They look great! A shade darker than the digital, but richer in colour and sharper. Very nice! The print shop guarantees the book will litho print the same. Thanks for supporting me in an area that's completely new to me! I can move ahead confidently with this print shop now.