Convert brochure from PS to PDF for web

Hello Damien,

RE: Convert a multi-page PS brochure from PS into one PDF for web use. (I've found your previous PDF tutorial and see the PDF merge link and have saved that for later).

I cannot seem to retain sharp images, text and objects. (I understand that some loss is expected due to the compression and looking for a happy medium).
My method: converting PS to Jpg files, then converting to PDF in mac preview. I've also tried adjusting the size of the layered PS files by converting text to shapes, converting vectors & logo to smart objects then flattening etc (advice from various conversion sites through google). While the file size dramatically reduces, so does the quality.

When uploaded online the result is awful. Grey marks even appear across the white backgrounds. (See attached).

Can you please offer some advice on how to use PS or a better way for a clear result?

Thanks in advance.

Sarah

AD-screen-crop.jpg

Thank you. I have read this and it makes total sense.
Could you please explain if I should be using the full resolution layered .psd images or jpegs? Keeping a good quality and a low file size is tricky to juggle.
Also, what is the best method for saving as a PDF? EG: File / save as/ Photoshop pdf and what settings? There is a smallest size / web optimised option with various options.

Thanks in advance.

Screenshot 2016-07-05 13.11.01.png

50 minutes ago, Sarah_ said:

Could you please explain if I should be using the full resolution layered .psd images or jpegs?

PSDs.  Making intermediate jpeg files before placing them in a design is just unnecessary clutter for your hard drive.

51 minutes ago, Sarah_ said:

Keeping a good quality and a low file size is tricky to juggle.

Not just tricky.  Sometimes, impossible :(

51 minutes ago, Sarah_ said:

Also, what is the best method for saving as a PDF? EG: File / save as/ Photoshop pdf and what settings? There is a smallest size / web optimised option with various options.

Well, that depends on the purpose for which you're making the PDF file.  Is it for print, or for emailing to people, or for people to download from your website ... ?

It's to upload to a 3rd party website. Then a provided weblink is given to clients for direct access to avoid bulky downloads.
I embedded jpegs into the clipping masks to keep the file size low. I'll go back and change all the images to psd files.
There's a 100mb limit for the total upload, and I have a total of 28 pages in the document.

I have spent the last three days trying various methods suggested through google and hope we can find a solution.

Sarah

Edited by Sarah_

13 minutes ago, Sarah_ said:

I embedded jpegs into the clipping masks to keep the file size low. I'll go back and change all the images to psd files.
There's a 100mb limit for the total upload, and I have a total of 28 pages in the document.

I think you're missing the point.  The act of saving as a PDF automatically makes all images jpegs.

Please don't go back and change anything now.  But for future reference, it's ok (better, in fact, from a workflow point of view) to simply use your master PSDs.

14 minutes ago, Sarah_ said:

It's to upload to a 3rd party website.

I need to know what pdf advice they've given.  About resolution, and size, and stuff.  What info do you have from them?

15 minutes ago, Sarah_ said:

I have a total of 28 pages in the document.

The simple, unavoidable truth is this:

A 28-page PDF is either going to be huge in size, or crappy in quality.

It's not possible to have a small, nice, 28-page PDF file.

Thank you!
Max document size is 100mb somewhere they suggest maximum of 150dpi. My document is 28 pages.
http://help.issuu.com/hc/en-us/articles/204816028-Getting-your-publication-ready
I purchased a ps magazine template that includes double page spreads. This is incompatible with issuu.com as it automatically joins pages in twos. (By the look in the help forum this is a recent modification giving many new users grief).
I'll have to chop my doubles in half. :/

I've tried both high and medium quality, thanks.

Both appear to be a nice small size, but the quality isn't flash.
Here's a link to uploaded publication on the site - I've just uploaded the front cover as a test... This is the high image quality example.
https://issuu.com/hellosunshinephotographybrisbane/docs/damien_1?utm_source=conversion_success&utm_campaign=Transactional&utm_medium=email
You'll see the heart vector has placed a white box over the "f"  of "from your session". The vector layer sits below the text layer  in photoshop.

Edited by Sarah_

Just now, Sarah_ said:

Really? Maybe I'm too used to looking at an iMac!

Allowing for the shortcomings of PDF, yes, it's excellent.

Just now, Sarah_ said:

Of course - how should I send it to you?

Are you new to the internet?  :)  Here's a tip for beginners - blue underlined words are generally links :)

I don't know how to answer this.
The file  was designed for print and web use and was sent with a bleed indication layer for print.
I have hidden the layer and set the design to sit to the edges, as is.  There are no visible guides to be cropped off.

Excellent.  Then you should be able to simply go to Image>Duplicate, to make a second copy of the file in Photoshop.

Then on each one, go to Canvas Size, and set the width to 50%.  On one of them, click on a right-hand square of the 3x3 grid; on the other one, click on a left-hand square.

Thank you. I tried the crop and it seems the bleed must be trimmed or the PDFs overlap when uploaded into the software. 
There's an issue with two spreads when saving to PDF.  Error message attached.
Not sure if I've done some thing to these documents as neither will allow me to display the guides in photoshop.

Screenshot 2016-07-06 10.44.12.png