Bridge Not Responding

Kris

First off, get Firefox. Use it to download stuff. But before you do that, open the Adobe Mothership Program CC Manager. Look for Bridge and click the three dots:

Screen Shot 2020-10-30 at 5.10.49 PM.png

You are looking for Other Versions. Version 10.1.1 is the oldest that I can personally install.

There are a few more things we can do to check Windows. Open another Command Prompt, and click on Run as administrator when you type CMD. Type the following command and press Enter:

• DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

Press enter and let it do its thing. This scan doesn't take very long. IF the quick scan comes back with any errors let's run a more robust scan:

• DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image / ScanHealth

If that comes back with error messages about file corruption, then type the following command and press Enter:

• DISM / Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

If you don't feel like typing the commands, just copy the ones I typed out and in the Command Prompt box, hit CTRL+V to paste them then hit enter.

Let me know what Windows finds.

@Brian - I ran the Check Health scan. No component store corruption detected & the operation completely successfully; so I did not run the other scans.

Downloaded, installed & made Firefox the default browser.

Version 10.1.1 is the oldest version & it is still installed.

The first time I tried running it I copied & pasted the command & it didn't run; I typed it in the second time & it ran.  No component store corruption detected.

SCAN HEALTH-report.jpg

There was a space between the Slash and ScanHealth. That's why it didn't work at first. With the command line, spelling and correct spacing is really important. ;)

Honestly, I'm kind of out of ideas. Other than un-installing both versions of Bridge, running Glary to help remove the left-over bits, then rebooting. Is all I have left. Then reinstall Bridge. But I think you have done that...and we are looking at a reformat and re-install. Ugh. I wish I was more of a help. Sometimes Windows just gets botched up and there is nothing you can do about it. The reason why it's not working is simply, "Just because..." or "It just is..."

I looked at that first command line & didn't see that. 

I don't think I uninstalled Bridge 10.1.1 & that seems to be the version that started giving me grief. I was hopeful when Bridge was updated earlier in Oct & again this week, but it's already not working again. I haven't run Glary, but have run CCleaner including the registry scan in the past 10 days.

Is downloading Bridge 2019 from ProDesignTools an option?

Sometimes when I shut down the PC there's a brief msg about something not closing, but it goes so fast I don't have a chance to read it. When I take a video of shutdown the error msg doesn't show up - Murphy's Law.

You've been very helpful and I appreciate all that you've been doing to try to resolve this :)

9 minutes ago, Kris said:

Is downloading Bridge 2019 from ProDesignTools an option?

Why not? It's already broken. If it works, great. If not, a re-format is in your future anyway.

but have run CCleaner including the registry scan in the past 10 days.

I used to use CCleaner for YEARS. Until in 2017, they got bought by AVAST! Antivirus. Then CCleaner became EVIL and started installing software, like Avast! AntiVirus without the end-user's knowledge. So you might want to un-install CCleaner, and any other software you do not recognize, then reboot. Download Glary and do a scan. I'm wondering if you do have some rogue software that is messing things up. Antivirus software is often the cause of things not installing properly.

Bottom Line: Avoid CCleaner now at all costs. Avast! Antivirus is as useless as Symantec and McAfee these days. Believe it or not, Windows Defender that you get with Windows Updates works REALLY WELL.

Sometimes when I shut down the PC there's a brief msg about something not closing,

Yeah, that happens more often than you think. It's probably some sort of software that isn't killing its background processes fast enough for Windows when it closes. This is one of those things that I would have to be there to see what it is. This type of thing is hard to fix over the internet. 

Thank you! I will un-install CCleaner & look for other software & I will get Glary & scan.

I also have Bitdefender & MalwarebytesFree - sounds like I should uninstall those & use Windows Defender instead.

7 minutes ago, Kris said:

I also have Bitdefender & MalwarebytesFree - sounds like I should uninstall those & use Windows Defender instead

Yeah, you have lots of software to remove, go hunting. Kill both of those too.

In reality, the paid versions of those software packages work better. Free ones are there to "Advertise" and to get you buying the full-versions. They really don't do much in the way of protection, and really just get in the way of stuff. Plus computer manufacturers like Dell, get paid from places like McAfee to be pre-installed on your computer. This helps keep costs down to the consumer. Unfortunately, these pre-installed software packages benefit the Manufacturers more than the consumer.

Stuff like this isn't just limited to a computer. There is a reason that Sugar-Based Colorful Cereals are at eye-level for a 8-10 year old in the Grocery Store. Or why things are located on an end-cap. Supermarkets are paid to put products in certain locations. 

• Thanks 1

From Safe Mode I uninstalled CCleaner, Bitdefender & MalwareBytes restarting when prompted - I didn't find AVAST, or other virus, etc programs. Then checked updates & ran quick scan for Windows Defender- no issues found. Downloaded Glary & ran Disk Cleanup, I unchecked Adobe CC 2018.  Registry Repair found  a problem associated with Bridge in Startup Programs. I restarted PC & opened the latest version of Bridge; it took awhile longer than usual to load but it's working now. If it is a problem I will try downloading Bridge 2019.

2 hours ago, Brian said:

In reality, the paid versions of those software packages work better. Free ones are there to "Advertise" and to get you buying the full-versions. They really don't do much in the way of protection, and really just get in the way of stuff. Plus computer manufacturers like Dell, get paid from places like McAfee to be pre-installed on your computer. This helps keep costs down to the consumer. Unfortunately, these pre-installed software packages benefit the Manufacturers more than the consumer.

I'm just now seeing ^^^  I downloaded the free Glary version - sounds like I should subscribe to the paid version.

Glary disk cleanup 2.jpg

glary reg rep.jpg

glary reg rep-startup.jpg

I just checked. Glary Utilites Pro is currently $19.95, which is 50% off. That's not a bad price. It seems to act more like "CleanMyMac" with the One-Button interface. I'd pick it up for $20. You'll spend more than that getting coffee every morning at the Coffee Shop on the corner over the course of a week.

• Thanks 1