Solid background

Gerardo

Hi Damien, beginner here, I've been reading your tutorials about background replace, is it a good idea to replace the background with a solid color layer or have to use gradient? If so, do I need to add noise also like you mention in the tutorial or noise is only to avoid banding in gradient 

3 hours ago, Gerardo said:

Hi Damien, beginner here, I've been reading your tutorials about background replace, is it a good idea to replace the background with a solid color layer or have to use gradient?

That is a decision you have to make on a photo-by-photo basis.  Every situation is different.

Please feel free to post your photos any time you need my help.

3 hours ago, Gerardo said:

If so, do I need to add noise also like you mention in the tutorial or noise is only to avoid banding in gradient 

Noise is only necessary for gradients, not for Solid Color layers.

Hi Damien, this is a photo of the print I need to restore and then print an enlargement, I took this photo following your tutorial "Tips for photographing old photos for restoration". My idea is to repair as much as possible my subjects and, cut them out and place them in a new solid color layer, then adjust image size to print 2x current size. My image is 4500x3400 @300dpi. I appreciate any help / tips.

IMG_5637.jpg